So, Isolation - what have you got planned? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
mr slug
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Default So, Isolation - what have you got planned?

My Missus has compromised immunity due to Chemo, so we are taking advice to stay away from folk and try and delay the inevitable medical crisis.

Fortunately, just before Christmas, I popped my burnt out VW166 onto the projects table.
The idea was to spend the winter working on it, then put it away again in the spring.

Looks like I may have extra ‘garage time’ on my hands.

So, you folk - what are you planning to do with your extra home time?
Who has interesting projects planned?

Please keep it sensible folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D821900-414D-493E-8D30-8672BE6AFC48.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	273913   Click image for larger version

Name:	27A6AF93-81AA-45CA-A0C8-81A29392017E.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	273915  
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

I hope Mrs S (and yourself) are OK Mark.

I hope everyone manages to ride this crisis out.

I was in the UK at the weekend (sorting out a few problems) and I got back here (to France) as soon as I could as I was expecting the borders to be closed etc.

They've locked everything down here. Non-essential shops are all closed and we have to download a form (and fill it in) to drive anywhere and only short distances are allowed to shop for essentials, go the bank, etc.

I'm actually still a bit tired from my weekend - 30-odd hours driving over three days - but tomorrow, I plan to start work in the garden. We've had a very wet/rainy winter and I've not had chance to even mow the lawns.

Stay safe everyone. Good luck.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

PS: Good luck with the VW166 project Mark. Looks fascinating.
Old 18-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Having moved to a rented farmhouse recently, the relative isolation will be handy lol.

A large unkempt garden will keep me busy , plus watching a vw166 readers ride thread ?...��
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
Mayo
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (7)

I usually work from home 2-3 days a week so I'll be keeping that going (albeit everything has slowed down a lot) and then trying to do something educational with the kids once the schools close (likely by the end of the week I'm hearing).

We're also offering help and running errands for elderly neighbours (I hope the silver lining in all this is we get a bit closer as a community, goodness knows there's been enough division over the past few years)

Would be nice to also get the garden sorted and maybe 'isolate' myself in the garage for a bit and have another go at the wiring in my Bug.

Stay safe folks and look after each other

73 GT - Rolling after 8 years of waiting.

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=863257
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
Hoosier
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Not sure what will happen if i need time off. Sink fast i expect.
Got the mk1 for sale and has been for a few weeks.
Got a chap interested but hes up in Scotland so wont be seeing him any time soon.
Other than that, not spending at all other than bills etc.
The company i work for were struggling before this so not sure how my employment situation will go either.

Time will tell.....
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
T4Dave

I'll be mostly working out the clusterfuck that has been created by it in terms of my business.

Being in the tourism trade, or in the hospitality trade is not fun at the moment as both are among the hardest hit. When you've got a tourist hospitality based business, it's near enough catastrophic.

It's been a long and difficult winter, we were relying on a good summer to pull us through, frankly the timing of this could not be worse for businesses like mine. I lose money for 8 months of the year, then make enough over the 4 months to carry us through. The only reason I stay open through the winter is to keep my staff in a job, the way things are looking this won't be possible next winter, hell we might not even be ALLOWED to open in the near future so I've no idea if I'll even get as far as the winter.

I'm lucky in that I own my businesses freehold outright, and with a bit of skrimping I can get through 12 months with no income, but I have 25 staff that rely on me for their livelihood, and it's that that is keeping me awake at night.

I've been self employed since I left school 24 years ago, had a fair few ups and downs but nothing remotely like this, the sheer lack of control over the situation is what's got me, i've always tried to be 2 steps ahead, always working out potential pitfalls and how i'll get around certain situations, but I never considered this shit!
T4Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Dave View Post
I'll be mostly working out the clusterfuck that has been created by it in terms of my business.

Being in the tourism trade, or in the hospitality trade is not fun at the moment as both are among the hardest hit. When you've got a tourist hospitality based business, it's near enough catastrophic.

It's been a long and difficult winter, we were relying on a good summer to pull us through, frankly the timing of this could not be worse for businesses like mine. I lose money for 8 months of the year, then make enough over the 4 months to carry us through. The only reason I stay open through the winter is to keep my staff in a job, the way things are looking this won't be possible next winter, hell we might not even be ALLOWED to open in the near future so I've no idea if I'll even get as far as the winter.

I'm lucky in that I own my businesses freehold outright, and with a bit of skrimping I can get through 12 months with no income, but I have 25 staff that rely on me for their livelihood, and it's that that is keeping me awake at night.

I've been self employed since I left school 24 years ago, had a fair few ups and downs but nothing remotely like this, the sheer lack of control over the situation is what's got me, i've always tried to be 2 steps ahead, always working out potential pitfalls and how i'll get around certain situations, but I never considered this shit!
Good luck dude.
Old 18-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
T4Dave

Thank you, like I say, i'll get through it, i'll adapt to the situation and find a way but it's the weight of the guys that work for me that is losing me sleep, i'm finding it hard to take my mind off it.

I've never gone backwards, ever, but will do what I need to if it comes to it.

I would imagine you're in a pretty shitty boat too at the moment with festival season upon us, again unprecedented times, best of luck to you too!
T4Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Dave View Post
Thank you, like I say, i'll get through it, i'll adapt to the situation and find a way but it's the weight of the guys that work for me that is losing me sleep, i'm finding it hard to take my mind off it.

I've never gone backwards, ever, but will do what I need to if it comes to it.

I would imagine you're in a pretty shitty boat too at the moment with festival season upon us, again unprecedented times, best of luck to you too!
Thanks Dave.
Reply Post New Thread