1965/6 Pearl White Beetle (Snowy?) Project - Page 40 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #391
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Sorry for the lack of replies, all comments are much appreciated. I've been really busy including working on the panel van so need to update that thread to bring it up to date. I've stopped doing the speedo dials as it takes up too much of my time. To be honest the bug has been neglected somewhat whilst I've been sorting the van so will have to get cracking on with it again to bring back to where it was. Was having a 'mare with the brakes last time I worked on it. Bled them umpteen times but was still getting nowhere. Out of MOT now so will have to do that and the front ball joint boots need doing too.
kafer-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #392
F17BUG
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (8)

glad to see this will be back up top soon! van is looking awesome too I'd love a bay panel. I had a pig of a time bleeding the brakes on my bug, turns out it was a failed seal in the master cylinder stopping it. Even when we replaced it with a new one it took a few trys. Pumping the pedal until it is really hard then bleeding the wheel cylinder whilst holding the pedal down helped. Don't lift the pedal until you've closed the wheel cylinder bleed nipple though obviously.

All the best
F17BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #393
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

Well 4 new wheel cyclinders later, the brakes are sorted. And with new Mecatech ball joint boots fitted, I managed to get it to its MOT. It only failed on a dodgy earth and a dodgy bulb both of which I've sorted but we ended up having to tow it back from the MOT station due to stalling and not being able to get it started. Roll on a few weeks and I missed the re-test as I still haven't got it running so didn't make it back down there. So far it's had a new 6v battery, starter bush and recon Bosch starter but still no luck getting it going.

Feeling a bit fed up with it to be honest as I need it to run as we're moving house before the end of the month and I don't want to have to have it trailered. It turns over fine now but just doesn't start. It had been running rich but it's had new plugs and I've turned down the mixture screw too. I know it's not a fuel issue so guessing spark but not the easiest thing to test on your own.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #394
psimitar
Help! I'm trapped in here

Just buy a high current push start button for vehicle wiring products along with a 3m length of 2.5mm wire and an 8mm ring terminal and female spade terminal. Then get under and attach the ring to the starters main feed and the spade to the solenoid terminal. No you can push the button whilst standing round the back of the Beetle and look thru the rear screen to make sure the lights go out when she starts

Now check for spark at every point along it's path. Coil 1st, then dizzy cap, then each cylinder lead and finally each spark plug. Also check the gearbox earth strap is OK.

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #395
bushoarder
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Wow your detailing is superb! I'm really interested on the decal film you have used, be fab to do something like your speedo to mine what program did you use to create the details for the speedo?
bushoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #396
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimitar View Post
Just buy a high current push start button for vehicle wiring products along with a 3m length of 2.5mm wire and an 8mm ring terminal and female spade terminal. Then get under and attach the ring to the starters main feed and the spade to the solenoid terminal. No you can push the button whilst standing round the back of the Beetle and look thru the rear screen to make sure the lights go out when she starts

Now check for spark at every point along it's path. Coil 1st, then dizzy cap, then each cylinder lead and finally each spark plug. Also check the gearbox earth strap is OK.
...thank you, sounds like a cunning plan
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #397
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushoarder View Post
Wow your detailing is superb! I'm really interested on the decal film you have used, be fab to do something like your speedo to mine what program did you use to create the details for the speedo?
Cheers, I used AutoCAD but I'm sure you could use other software. The decal film is just clear inkjet waterslide decal paper which you can get off ebay.
Old 18-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #398
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

After changing the points, condenser, distributor cap and contacts I found the fuel nozzle had come off in the carb. I managed to get it running last Saturday and whizzed it down for an MOT which it passed. Picked up the tax disc yesterday so back in business finally!
Reply Post New Thread