Volkszone Forum banner

Can we talk high power gearboxes?

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  lukej 
#1 ·
Cogbox
Bears
John walklett
Off the shelf Rancho

Any other options in the uk? Would rather independent reputable dudes.

Right. 2276cc efi, full weight beetle. 99% street use. Swing axle. 205/60 tyres (24.7"/627mm height)
Very rarely will it see drag use but I want to be able to beat on it without worrying too much.
150-170 bhp at a guess.

Thinking
Late 3.78 first
0.89 fourth
3.88 r&p
Welded hubs 3+4
Hardened keys
Hd side plate
4 spider gears
Superdiff

Open to any input though as I'm kinda losing it now I've been reading so many conflicting theories...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Luke,
Mine's pretty similar to yours I think.
2276cc, but Dell 48s not efi. Like you I'm going to estimate around 170-180fwhp.
Swing axle, 205/ 70r15.

I have an off the shelf Rancho pro street. 3.88 r&p, but a longer 0.82 fourth.

In my full weight 68 beetle it's been fine on the street. It had done maybe 20 runs on the strip with it's last owner (I bought used). Seems fine, although I'd consider changing to a 0.89 4th if I ever have the box apart. I think the 0.82 is maybe a touch too long, but it's what was in it.

1 messaged John Walklett to get one built and he was very helpful, and I'd have gone with him, but in the end, the rancho turned up at a bargain price.
My 2p. .. Hope it helps.
Cheers, Dave.

#3 ·
Thank you, good info.
You think a 4.125 R&P would be better with the 0.82 fourth?

What cam do you have? I've got an 86b which should be plenty streetable (maybe even slightly forgiving) compared for the 86c I nearly went for...

10.2:1 CR
Ported wedgeport 42x37 heads
1 5/8 exhaust

Like you say, the rancho pro street is the obvious option and if one comes up at the right price...

#4 · (Edited)
I think it probably would, but the 3.88 is stronger. That's probably not so much of an issue on the street. The 0.82 certainly isn't the end of the world, in fact its rather good on a motorway run, it's just that's not what I use the car for most of the time.
Mine's 44 x 37.5 Oval ports, match ported to the manifolds, Web86 custom grind. Don't know the compression. I ended up buying a complete car about a year ago just for the engine and box... swapped them out and sold the body on.
Was a gamble, and I've had to spend a bit on the motor to get it right but I'm pretty happy so far. It'll probably get a strip and rebuild next winter, and then I'll find out the compression and decide what's next for it.

#7 ·
Sounds mega!
I guess there are plenty of different ratios that would fit the bill, it likely comes down to proven combos and availability.

My old street box, described above I really loved it. Good balance of speed through gears and an ok cruising speed

4.12 r+p
3.80 1st
2.06 2nd
1.48 3rd
1.04 4th

Lee
PS, it took loads of abuse including slicks use before it broke. Not a huge failure, just a diff/spider gear issue after a bigger burnout than usual
Interesting you say the 3.80 1st took a load of hammer, I keep reading how the 3.78 is the one to have (stronger) How much do I need though?
It aint gonna see drag starts on slicks certainly not at Pod. Maybe a few hard launches on the street though but I guess the street tyres are my 'fuse'

What size rear tyres Lee?
Also, what rpm did your engine pull from? guessing much higher than mine should.

#5 ·
Z

Cogbox
Bears
John walklett
Off the shelf Rancho

Any other options in the uk? Would rather independent reputable dudes.

Right. 2276cc efi, full weight beetle. 99% street use. Swing axle. 205/60 tyres (24.7"/627mm height)
Very rarely will it see drag use but I want to be able to beat on it without worrying too much.
150-170 bhp at a guess.

Thinking
Late 3.78 first
0.89 fourth
3.88 r&p
Welded hubs 3+4
Hardened keys
Hd side plate
4 spider gears
Superdiff

Open to any input though as I'm kinda losing it now I've been reading so many conflicting theories...
With a 3:88 r+p and 0.89 4th you are going to struggle unless turbo'd.

I ran a 4.125 with a 1.04 4th and that ran a high 11 with a 2276/FK87/IDA's in a light oval. I always found it dropped the revs slightly too low when shifting in to 4th.

Pete@Cogbox has done all this thousands of times. Give him a call

Lee

#6 ·
My old street box, described above I really loved it. Good balance of speed through gears and an ok cruising speed

4.12 r+p
3.80 1st
2.06 2nd
1.48 3rd
1.04 4th

Lee
PS, it took loads of abuse including slicks use before it broke. Not a huge failure, just a diff/spider gear issue after a bigger burnout than usual

#8 ·
On the street I ran a 185R15. The street box made it a joy to drive, would pick up around 3k rpm and if I'm honest was smooth enough to make people question the 1/4 mile times it did :lol:

The race box that replaced the box listed above did the opposite, noisy, harsh and hard work! Bit that was 3:88 R+P and a 1.22 4th....

Can't comment on the first gear strength, I bought the cogbox box off someone on here who never used it. Pete called it the miracle box as it survived drag racing and slicks for so long.

Lee

#10 ·
Cheers guys. Sorry for the delay, I have been doing some research/ financial calculations :D

Spoke with John too, super helpful. By the time I get axles factored in, I'm looking at £2k which quite frankly aint on the cards right now.
He did offer another package for substantially less but then it wouldn't really give me the confidence to mash it anyway so the crux of it is that I need a fully built box... End of!

So I'll get saving and have him build me a pro street box somewhere down the line.

#11 ·
Luke, my box above will probably be up for sale later this year if you want a chat when you're ready for one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.