Volkszone Forum banner

Plexiglass windows flush mount

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  vwfreakster 
#1 ·
Hey

Does anyone know if you can buy steel tabs to fit flush cut plexiglass windows?

:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
I made mine out of right angle ally strip on one car and ally tube on another.

Ally right angle strip - cut pieces about 2cm long. Drilled the pieces one hole per "flat"

Tiny bolt and nut to hold the piece to the "glass" and once they were all on, held the window in the right place with masking(paper) tape, marked the holes, then drilled and riveted them. Worked OK.

Tube - ally tube about as round as a pencil and long BA bolts, nuts and tiny washers. Drilled tiny holes around the edge of the "glass" lined up with the centre of the lip in the window hole. Cut the ally tube to the gap between the back/inside of the glass and the lip of the window frame. This acted like a spacer. BA bolt went throught the glass down the tube, thru the window ip and nut and washer behind..Then laid the glass in place and held with paper tape, drilled the welded seam/lip of each window aperture. Then nut and bolted them. Worked OK too.

I then put some black seam sealer on the tiny gap between the body and glass - kept the air out and made it a bit more water proof when it was on the trailer.

#3 ·
Cool

I made mine out of right angle ally strip on one car and ally tube on another.

Ally right angle strip - cut pieces about 2cm long. Drilled the pieces one hole per "flat"

Tiny bolt and nut to hold the piece to the "glass" and once they were all on, held the window in the right place with masking(paper) tape, marked the holes, then drilled and riveted them. Worked OK.

Tube - ally tube about as round as a pencil and long BA bolts, nuts and tiny washers. Drilled tiny holes around the edge of the "glass" lined up with the centre of the lip in the window hole. Then laid the glass in place and held with paper tape, drilled the welded seam/lip of each window aperture. Then nut and bolted them. Worked OK too.

I then put some black seam sealer on the tiny gap between the body and glass - kept the air out and made it a bit more water proof when it was on the trailer.
Thanks mate, Is plexiglass the best stuff?

#4 ·
No - I used a product called "Margards" from a company called Direct Plastics in Sheff. Used to be run by a VWDRC guy who them went ProModProStockProSomething...... so he knew what was right in the was of the correct window material. Really top bloke. Paul(?)

There used to be an MSA ruling on window thickness for "plastics" - front had to be thicker than the sides but can't remember the details now.

#6 ·
Sorry had to add a bit in red - forgot to mention what you did with the ally tube!

There's a post on here of my old chopped car - front screen was done this way. Reader's rides - PRU or something - not my post - the new owner's post..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.