Fuel Ppump set up - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 30-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Fuel Pump set up

So I run both a facet pump and and a bottle bottle style pump; tank - filter - facet pump - swirl pot - bosch pump - engine.

The facet pump is noisy by nature but it is so loud I was looking to replace this with a pull style pump.

I have done a search on here but it hasn't come up with anything concrete, now that a few people have had their conversions running for a while what set up do you guys have for your fuel systems?

Last edited by eugopnosaj; 02-09-2019 at 04:20 PM..
eugopnosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

I'm running the subaru legacy one mate. I cut into the beetle tank and baffled it, and welded the flange for the Subaru intank pump to be used
atlas2l8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas2l8v View Post
I'm running the subaru legacy one mate. I cut into the beetle tank and baffled it, and welded the flange for the Subaru intank pump to be used
Ah the donor car has long gone and I wasn't inclined to cut my tank up, although that would have been the better option. Are you just using the 1 pump? You can get golf mk2 digifant swirl pots which have a built in pump, although theyre in excess of 100 to buy. As standard these would have been fitted underneath the car, along with the filter but they still have an in-tank pump. My corrado (in 16v form uses mk2 parts) had the same set up only it used an external pump with the swirl pot but still 2 pumps, I think my VR6 is similar, not that it helps but they both use 2 pumps.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

I got a good....ie expensive...aftermarket rotary pump which is fitted the the petrol side of the kick panel. Fed from an 8mm outlet I diy soldered tho spotted this today
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1587203
Used a stock scooby filter at the back of the car which I need to move as hard to access, it's a big bugger and then my return lines feed into the bottom of the fuel filler. There was an outlet so I just used it. Would be better lower but do for now.
No swirl Pot. No baffles. 13.1. No fuel starvation....yet
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Big Al

VZi Member Sponsor

I just had an idea. I wonder if putting the tank on a slight slant (I would have said cockel but you wouldn't know what I'm talking about, you know....Cockel it!! ) would cause any cleanace isues and if might help keep fuel at the outlet under hard acceleration. Like said not been a prob yet maybe had too much fuel in but just a random thought.
Obviously fuel couldn't be allowed to go as low but I'm not talking 90 degrees!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
booton
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

im running an impreza one in the tank. ( like other my tank and donnor cat tank was cut up and made beetle tank with the pump and return line floats. )
it is fairly noisy to but some sound proof could easily cover it.
booton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I got a good....ie expensive...aftermarket rotary pump which is fitted the the petrol side of the kick panel. Fed from an 8mm outlet I diy soldered tho spotted this today
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1587203
Used a stock scooby filter at the back of the car which I need to move as hard to access, it's a big bugger and then my return lines feed into the bottom of the fuel filler. There was an outlet so I just used it. Would be better lower but do for now.
No swirl Pot. No baffles. 13.1. No fuel starvation....yet
That's a good way of increasing it, never thought of that. I just fitted a different insert into the nut that fitted on the bottom of the tank then used 90 degree adaptor to change the orientation but this might be better.

I would insulate the pump but I think cooling might be an issue if I wrapped it or put it in a box. It's not too bad under load, but on idle it just a continuous sound, as if someone was rolling their "R's" non-stop and sounds a bit, pathetic. Unfortunately I have neither a spare tank, nor the subaru in tank pump to modify. I wonder if I can get a bigger swirl pot (currently 1ltr) and modify that to fit an aftermarket in tank pump, then use the Bosch style one to feed the swirl pot? (I know you can buy them but the one's I've seen are competition ones and large/expensive!)

Also what FPR are you guys running, I'm just using the standard one on the engine.

Last edited by eugopnosaj; 06-09-2019 at 03:56 PM..
eugopnosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
Big Al

VZi Member Sponsor

I haven't used an fpr. I figured excess would just go back to the tank. Mine is noisy even tho its rotary tho when the engine is running it's so loud in my car I don't really notice it any longer. It had a sponge jacket with it so just d clamped on as was.
Reply Post New Thread