Volkszone Forum banner

Rate the last film you saw out of 10 (Pt 2)

46K views 492 replies 61 participants last post by  type3 
#1 ·
Tomb Raider (2018) - 0/10 Very terrible!

Passengers - 7.2/10 Could be better but quite good.

Arrival (2016) - 7.8/10 Slow and moody but interesting. :)

#260 ·
'Underwater', starring Kristen Stewart. 5/10.
It's a horror/thriller about a group of workers at an oil drilling site 7 miles down at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, who have to escape after an earthquake wrecks their underwater base. When they start getting out they realise it wasn't an earthquake after all.....
Acting, directing and effects are all very good, with the same sort of quiet, tense fear of the first 'Alien' film, but it all gets very silly at times, with plot holes you could drive a bus through, and daft stuff like people walking along the sea bed at that depth in diving suits with just a little glass helmet on, etc.
It's acceptable silliness :).

#262 ·
I just finished watching a classic (well, 70s 'classic' anyway) - Waterloo

It's an epic, with a star-studded cast - Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer, Virginia McKenna, Jack Hawkins, Ian Ogilvy and the legendary Orson Welles amongst others - and about a million 'extras' - with the battle itself taking up the most part of the film.

Despite some peculiar edits (I'm guessing they were cutting edge film treatments at the time) it's a very good, historical war/battle film, with Steiger particularly good as Napoleon wrestling with his demons, closely followed by Plummer's 'aristocratic' portrayal of Wellington.

Worth a watch. 6.8/10

#263 ·
Geostorm - Pretty entertaining disaster film. We watched it as a family last night and we all enjoyed it. Nothing too challenging! 8/10.

#264 ·
Night shifts working from home have allowed me to catch up on a few old films I wanted to see when they were first out (unless you're one of my managers, in which case I haven't seen any films at all and I've been working really, really hard and deserve a bonus).

First Man - 7/10. The story of Neil Armstrong in the 10yrs or so up to his moon landing. It's quiet and thoughtful, not all heroic and 'God bless America' as I expected. Quite moody. Enjoyable.
Ad Astra - 5/10. Brad Pitt goes off to the edge of the solar system to save the Earth and find his Dad, Tommy Lee Jones. Slightly silly sci-fi.
The Invisible Man - 9/10. This is a real twist on the usual idea of this film, with a small cast (Elisabeth Moss is excellent in everything) creating a lot of tension and excitement. Top notch acting and direction. Just don't watch it on your own at 3am like I did, you'll think there's someone in the room with you :lol:
Zombieland Double Tap - 7/10. Enjoyable gory sequel to the first, with some real funny sequences.

#265 ·
Just saw 'Little Monsters' - 7.5/10.
It's an Australian zombie comedy about a load of young children and their teacher trapped in an animal petting farm in a zombie outbreak, with a useless loser and an American version of Mr Tumble. It's funnier than it sounds! I love Aussie films, they have that lovely down to earth quality that's sometimes a breath of fresh air after the usual predictable Hollywood blockbusters getting squeezed out of the same old - same old Hollywood film machine.
Very enjoyable. :D

#266 ·
A film I caught on Sony Movies channel last night - and really enjoyed - Money Monster

George Clooney and Julia Roberts star as a 'financial advisor' TV host and his producer, who are put in an extreme situation when an angry investor (Jack O'Connell,) who has lost everything on the stock market, takes over their studio at gunpoint.

Well written, directed and acted.

8/10

#267 ·
BBC Scotland showing "Down among the big boys" tonight at 9.30pm I think. 1993 Film with Billy Connolly, saw it years ago and remember it being quite entertaining.

Disclaimer: It was over 20 years ago when I saw it so no responsibility taken if you don't enjoy it lol

#268 ·
Watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. with the family last night. Good! A solid 7 out of 10.

#272 ·
I watched "Birds Of Prey And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn" kind of wished I hadn't.

It had little of the visual attraction of a graphic novel based film and Margot Robbie was just really annoying and not at all likeable (I get that her character was meant to be an a'hole) the other characters were mostly just flat.

3/10

#273 ·
"The Cobbler" with Adam Sandler. Comedy of sorts, but bit darker. Wasn't his usual sort of silly slapstick funny stuff, but watchable enough when there was nothing else on 6/10

#274 ·
"Big Game" on Amazon Prime. Absolute crap. Samuel L Jackson plays one of the leads and is the president of the US and Air Force 1 gets shot down over Finland and a little kid saves him.

Had it's moments but just bloody stupid - especially the bit with the freezer. 3/10

"Time warp" on Netflix. Basically if you go into this cave in the mountains time goes a lot quicker in there than the outside world. Really interesting concept and has it's moments but needs a second film to tie up some loose ends.

5.5/10

#275 ·
Another on Film4 - American Made . . .

Apparently based on a true story this is the story of Barry Seal, played by Tom Cruise - a hot shot TWA pilot who gets drawn into the bizarre but highly lucrative world of gun and drug-running to and from Central America for the CIA.

Although they're not remotely the same kind of film - it really put me in mind of Goodfellas in its style, treatment and pace.

7.5/10

#276 ·
I enjoyed that /\

Not the best film ever made, but an entertaining enough couple hours.
I couldn't help thinking that the only reason Cruise agreed to make the film is because of his love for flying (he has his own P-51 Mustang) and the fact he could do his own aerial stunts.

On the down side, 2 other stunt fliers were killed making the film :(

8:10

#277 ·
Another 'based on an actual event' movie, that I caught on Sony Movies tonight - Empire State . . . about a heist that took place at the Empire State armoured truck company.

It began with a lot of promise, the film sets the right mood and tone with a nice 80s vibe featuring a soul/disco soundtrack (and some Santana thrown in too.) It had the right 'look' with some interesting characters - but sadly it could have been a lot better, given the subject matter (I love 'heist' movies - especially those done well.)

Still, enjoyable and watchable - 6/10

:)

#278 ·
So . . . I ended up staying awake and watching the film that followed. Every day feels like a Sunday these days, so, what the heck!

Faster - Dwayne Johnson as a newly-released con who goes on a revenge killing spree.

I really thought I wouldn't like this - I expected a Steve Seagal/Van Damme budget 'shoot 'em up' type film - and in some ways it was . . . but a bit more stylish/cool. I was pleasantly surprised. The preacher on the radio was a neat detail. :)

Really great cars and very good performances from Billy Bob Thornton as the washed-up/addict cop and Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the stylish and slightly neurotic Brit hitman (who oddly kept putting me in mind of Roger Daltrey.)

Not a great film by any means, but not the worst either.

6.5/10

#281 ·
I caught a decent film tonight on Film4 - UNBROKEN.

Directed by Angelina Jolie... after a plane crash in World War 2, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a harrowing 40-odd days in a life-raft with two fellow crewmen before he's caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.

7/10 :)

#283 ·
Just saw 'Greyhound', the Tom Hanks film where he's a captain of a destroyer guarding a convoy across the Atlantic in WW2. 5/10. Disappointing.

The CGI is excellent, it's a brilliant film to look at, but there's (almost) zero backstory to any characters, there's no emotional depth to anyone, no exploring the relationships between anybody, nothing. The main guy says goodbye to his missus then it just goes straight into firing depth charges and shouting, and stuff blowing up.
There's tension as the convoy is hunted by the submarines, but because none of the characters have been explored at all, you feel quite detached.
Shame really, I was looking forward to it.

#284 ·
Went to the cinema last week for the first time since lockdown. Saw JoJo Rabbit. It was pretty good. 7.5/10.

#285 ·
Caught a movie on Film4 (or was it Channel 4?) tonight . . . The Heat

Not the kind of film I'd normally watch, but it was a decent enough comedy, that had me laughing. :)

Starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy - an uptight FBI Agent is partnered with a foul-mouthed Boston cop to take on a ruthless drug lord.

I don't know how much of it was scripted and how much was ad lib'd - but the dialogue was great.

6.8/10

#286 ·
Caught a movie on Film4 (or was it Channel 4?) tonight . . . The Heat

Not the kind of film I'd normally watch, but it was a decent enough comedy, that had me laughing.

Starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy - an uptight FBI Agent is partnered with a foul-mouthed Boston cop to take on a ruthless drug lord.

I don't know how much of it was scripted and how much was ad lib'd - but the dialogue was great.

6.8/10
I must check it out. Melissa McCarthy is excellent IMHO.

#287 ·
I just watched a really good film, again on (my favourite channel) Film4 - Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Denzel Washington as an idealistic (possibly autistic savant?) awkward, detached, defense attorney, who finds himself in a series of events that lead to a crisis and the need for extreme action.

Co-starring Colin Farrell and Carmen Ejogo, it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but Washington's performance/portrayal is superb. I don't think Denzel has ever made a bad film? He was Oscar-nomiated for this one I believe.

The story is told and presented in such a way that you, the viewer, feel as detached as Roman is, but compelled to follow his journey to the end.

And the jazz-funk and soul soundtrack is a bonus.

8/10

:)

#288 ·
Another I caught on TV - The Happening starring Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschane.

A science teacher, his wife and a young girl struggle to survive a weird plague that causes those infected to commit suicide.

It (sort of) put me in mind of Hitchcock's 'The Birds' - only not as good. Nowhere near as good.

5/10