Volkszone Forum banner

1303, Super beetle, Fat Chick.....

25K views 270 replies 19 participants last post by  satans_creation 
#1 ·
...whichever name you prefer :D

I'm back in an air-cooled :D (sort of, it's not on the road yet)

I've not been on here much for quite some time, mostly down to sulking as I sold my last air-cooled to fit a new kitchen and haven't had the funds to get another one since...until now.

I've had a couple of build threads on here before, three that I can think of off the top of my head...

My newbie

My one owner from new '66 barn find (technically not a barn but abandoned in a lock up for 20 years when I got it)

And the pinnacle of all my toys

See less See more
#2 ·
So, last project car was a water cooled that I found cheap, spent five years playing with and managed to sell for enough money to start thinking about getting back in an air-cooled (There's a build thread for this one over on the Scirocco forum)

#3 ·
Now the search was on to see if I could find a suitable toy. I don't mind most jobs, and I'm not interested in building another show car, but I can't weld so needed something pretty solid. I also had to consider that I would be building this on my driveway.
Sie1970 on here has been my metalwork saviour on my '64, Beach Buggy, Mk1 Astra and the Scirocco, he also has plenty of projects lying around and knows of many more. I text to see if he knew of anything and he offered up his 1303 at an attractive price. Most of the welding had been completed and he offered to do any more that I found.
First viewing...

#5 ·
The engine was already out (1300 twin hotspot) and has been apart and freshened, floorpan was mostly unbolted and a few other bits stripped out, and only looked to be a couple of parts missing.
Price was agreed and Simon offered to drop her round to mine as well. (He also gave her a bit of a bath first, and loosely bolted some bits on, think this was to stop my Mrs freaking out when it arrived :D )

#24 ·
I generally end up doing most of the work on my cars on my own and wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the body off.

Turns out it's very easy. The floor was sat on the front wheels so I could remove the front suspension. I placed an axle stand each side, a length of 4x2 under the body and then just lifted each side onto the stands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.