Volkszone Forum banner

Let's see your model car VWs!!

107K views 1K replies 41 participants last post by  Jim 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a Revell '68 bug model from secret Santa this year. It's great as my 1st bug was a '68 so I can try and recreate it - wonky bumpers, rust and all. The kit even has blade bumpers for some reason, as my '68 did.

Anyway I'm getting stuck into painting up the pieces. Here I am just doing the vacuum advance in metallic steel.

As you can see, it's bloody tiny! :lol:

And here's the rest of the engine bay so far. I don't mind the paint looking a bit blobby or messy - I don't want it looking too perfect as that would make it look 'new'. I need it to look used and a bit knackered :lol:

I need to drop the carb a bit as the oil pipe thing on the right of the air filter doesn't join up properly.

Let's see what model cars the rest of you have got! :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Good work :cool:

I used to make lots of kits when I was younger...I got pretty good at it....

So Santa bought me a Tamiya CB750F sport tuned, 1/12 scale....I`ll find out soon if i still have the skills....its the steady hand that`s most needed I think!

#9 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to paint up this Revell bug. I don't want it shiny and new looking but I don't have the skills to paint it so it looks 'real' - it just looks shiny with rust coloured paint splashed on :lol:.
Here's the floorpan. Mucky and a bit rusty round the edges & battery tray. It's not quite in fitting with my Martini Racing NATO strap :lol: .

And here's the engine bay finished :)

Onwards and upwards...

#13 ·
Blimey Zeb, you've knocked out out of the park, there! Those are brilliant. I love that Kubel - wow.

I've done a bit more in my engine bay today but it was just messing. Decals, etc.

I did a bit more on the floor pan too, and got the shocks on. Koni reds :lol:.

I'm even struggling getting decent pics, it's too small! These were done with a DSLR but it's hard to get the exposure right to show the details when so much of it is shiny black :D

#14 ·
Thanks. Most were made while i still had no garage so work on my bug stopped when the weather turned.
Your bugs engine looks great. :cool:
I've always just adjusted the exposure settings and contrast etc afterwards in photoshop.

I made some scale books and mags for the interior of mine. And a pizza box and beer cans.

I also bought an A4 sheet of waterslide decal paper off ebay and printed my own decals and number plates.

#17 ·
Was the pic of that lovely lowlight taken at Hessisch, Zeb?
Those magazines are a brilliant idea - is that John Muir's Compleat Idiot book on the back seat? :D Fantastic!
Also, as for painting, do you have an airbrush? If not, you've got some real skills with a brush, mate. I had an Aerograph 'Super 63' airbrush at Uni but I sold it soon after. Every model I build, I wish I'd kept it! :lol:

#18 ·
The ghia was one from a Hessisch thread on another forum. There was one at volksworld last year the same colour I think.
Yep it's the idiots guide on the back seat and a Haynes manual on the parcel shelf. I just reduced them in size on photoshop and printed onto photo paper. Edges were opened with a sharp knife to look like they were well thumbed.
I managed to melt my airbrush using it for celly, so most have been sprayed using aerosol cans.