Volkszone Forum banner

Advice on wild Camping

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeremiah 
#1 ·
Hi all

I just got a new motor home and we really want to go and do some wild camping in it this year (Obv once Covid allows).

Am just after a bit of advice on to where to start, and have a few questions

1. How safe is wild camping? has anyone ever had any issues with parking over night in laybys or beach car parks etc.

2. How legal is it? I presume if you find a layby or secluded plot and there are no signs stating no overnight parking / private land, you can legally stop overnight?

As soon as covid allows we're going to head somewhere, either Lakes district / Lancashire way or Derbyshire / Cheshire way. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to stop or any tips, would be helpful

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi all

I just got a new motor home and we really want to go and do some wild camping in it this year (Obv once Covid allows).

Am just after a bit of advice on to where to start, and have a few questions

1. How safe is wild camping? has anyone ever had any issues with parking over night in laybys or beach car parks etc.

2. How legal is it? I presume if you find a layby or secluded plot and there are no signs stating no overnight parking / private land, you can legally stop overnight?

As soon as covid allows we're going to head somewhere, either Lakes district / Lancashire way or Derbyshire / Cheshire way. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to stop or any tips, would be helpful

Cheers
Laybys are a bit of a no-no in as much as they're meant to be kept clear/just used for short stops/breaks.

Plenty of councils allow camping near their beaches though - check out New Brighton (Merseyside) for example. The council allow 'wild' camping in quite a few locations.

This site has some useful info:

trespass.com/advice/wild-camping-legal/

Good luck. Be safe. :)

#3 ·
IIRC actual wild camping is illegal in England and Wales. As Brian has said there are places that allow overnight stays. There are also plenty of places that turn a blind eye to it, as long as you're respectful of the surroundings.

I've stayed overnight in Lakes on numerous occasions, but always high up, above all properties and making sure the van looked parked, rather than pitched. No awnings, bbqs, etc.

There are also places (pubs, sports clubs, etc) that allow you to stay in their car park for the price of a few pints in the bar or a nominal fee. The Dungeon Ghyll, in the Langdales, did allow it for a donation to the mountain rescue. Several beaches in North Wales have car parks and again a fiver normally gets you an overnight stay. You're unlikely to have any facilities.

Scotland is different, you can pretty much park on a beach, by the side of a loch and Robert is your mother's brother. Loch Lomond has restrictions, it's not worth it when there's so many other spots.

#5 ·
IIRC actual wild camping is illegal in England and Wales. As Brian has said there are places that allow overnight stays. There are also plenty of places that turn a blind eye to it, as long as you're respectful of the surroundings.

I've stayed overnight in Lakes on numerous occasions, but always high up, above all properties and making sure the van looked parked, rather than pitched. No awnings, bbqs, etc.

There are also places (pubs, sports clubs, etc) that allow you to stay in their car park for the price of a few pints in the bar or a nominal fee. The Dungeon Ghyll, in the Langdales, did allow it for a donation to the mountain rescue. Several beaches in North Wales have car parks and again a fiver normally gets you an overnight stay. You're unlikely to have any facilities.

Scotland is different, you can pretty much park on a beach, by the side of a loch and Robert is your mother's brother. Loch Lomond has restrictions, it's not worth it when there's so many other spots.
Thanks for the advice, it all sounds complicated, we may just stick to normal camp sites! :lol:

I take it you never had any trouble when you've parked in the Lakes? No one ever knocked you up at 3am. I think the only wild camping Iv really done is camping outside the POD when I arrive to late and the gates are lock. I would like to tour the lakes and Scotland is definitely on the menu to do.

#6 ·
It's not complicated, you just need to be aware of the surroundings and how obvious you stand out. With wild camping, the trick is turn up late and leave early. If you can avoid a busy road, do so.

You could park opposite Owd Betts and you'd probably be fine. Go half a mile towards Ramsbottom and there's the ruins of a mill/farmhouse just off the main road, park there and no one would even see you. Go the other way and the road to Red Lumb (?) is a dead end, it's ideal. Round the back of the Garic yard, there's a cobbled road, no one uses it, except the two or three properties on it.

I know these aren't particularly worth camping at, considering where you live, but they'll give you a feel of what to look for.

#8 ·
Thanks for that, I thought about camping opposite Owd Betts just to give it a try. But its 10 minutes from my house so like you said :lol:

There a few nice place around Skipton area, so if we do ever come out of tier 4 and the camp site are not yet open I will try around that area and see if we can find some nice spots.

#12 · (Edited)
It's not complicated, you just need to be aware of the surroundings and how obvious you stand out. With wild camping, the trick is turn up late and leave early. If you can avoid a busy road, do so.

You could park opposite Owd Betts and you'd probably be fine. Go half a mile towards Ramsbottom and there's the ruins of a mill/farmhouse just off the main road, park there and no one would even see you. Go the other way and the road to Red Lumb (?) is a dead end, it's ideal. Round the back of the Garic yard, there's a cobbled road, no one uses it, except the two or three properties on it.

I know these aren't particularly worth camping at, considering where you live, but they'll give you a feel of what to look for. One more thing is that you should use US repellers if you don't want to be disturbed by mosquitoes. I recommend this one.
In about a month or so my friends and will go wild camping for the first time in 2 recent years :) hope everything will ne fine this time and the trip won't be cancelled! fingers crossed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.