Volkszone Forum banner

VW ACTION 2019 - My Brad's Auction Painting

8K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  kevsplitty 
#1 ·
I'm just about to start my (annual) illustration to be auctioned on behalf of Brad's Cancer Foundation at VW Action on September 1st. :)

I've managed to get an illustration done for the last 10 years or so, and they've (thankfully) always raised money for Brad's - which is nice. :)

However, they've all been done (digitally) using a palette and stylus (and software) - still 'painting' but with the safety net of being able to 'undo' if one messes up. This year, I'm gonna try and get back into painting, with brushes and paint on canvas. Mainly because this last winter saw me decorating two bedrooms and bathrooms - mostly out of boredom - as the weather was crap - so, I figure painting/illustrating might help me pass the time. :)

It's been at least 18 years since I used brushes and paint - and it must be 30 years since I painted on canvas *gulp!* so, I'm a bit nervous. :eek:

Mrs B reckons I'll be fine, it's like riding a bike, one never forgets - I hope not, last time I rode a bicycle, I was knackered, out of breath and coughing my lungs up for hours. :eek: :D

Big thanks to Glen Anderson for bidding on (and buying) last year's (Gene Hunt) offering (below) - bless ya!

I'll try to remember to update here regularly - please watch this space . . .

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Canvas...

First of all, I had to prepare the canvas. One tightens up the frame/stretches the canvas by tapping in small wooden wedges.

Canvases usually come 'prepared' with a layer of white acrylic - but I always prefer to add my own base coat - in this case I've gone for a pale cool grey quickly mixed up. The white acrylic primer (to which I've added a dab of ultramarine blue and black) is quite expensive . . .

Back when I was a struggling teenage 'scally' - I used make my own primer using PVA glue and household emulsion (with varying degrees of success. :))

Attachments

#8 ·
Sketch...

Once the primer was dry, I quickly sketched out some basic outlines to help me (hopefully) get the paint somewhere near the right areas.

Worryingly, my sketch looks nothing like my subject!! :eek: :lol:

Once that was done, I very quickly blocked in a darker grey area - although this will be a 'painting' - I'm still trying to give it a 'poster' look/feel. :)

(Click on attachments to enlarge.)

Attachments

#14 ·
I always wondered what the wee wooden things were for that came along with a canvas! Looking forward to seeing the progress :cool:

Amy Winehouse?

#26 ·
I added some 'scratchy' lettering . . . trying to get a sort of 'urban poster' look . . .

It dawned on me today that virtually all of my illustrations, regardless of the subject matter, lean towards that 'album cover'/'poster' look - all those years of producing album artwork etc., must have subliminally lodged in the back of my mind. :)

Attachments

#28 ·
looking awsome bri , watching with interest how this comes along m8, I don,t no but would think painting old style is more rewarding when you stand back and think, wow, rather than the more modern methods?
subscribed to the thread to see how progress comes along , love stuff like this.

#55 ·
Have made these 4 bespoke pictures from reclaimed timber, all one offs so be different & bid on them :lol: Theres a split bus, Bay bus, Bug & a 412 Variant. Have left them un-treated so can be painted if needed if someone wants to personalise it to suit their vehicle.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.