At home sand blasting? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Engineering Tech

Engineering Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Engineering Issues that don't necessarily fall into Aircooled or Watercooled Tech. Got a problem? Or an engineering question? Even a buildings or property engineering question? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 23-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Jackrobbo
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default At home sand blasting?

Im at the stage with my project now where I need to get down to bare metal.

Has anyone had any luck with sand blasting at home or in a small workshop.

When I did the pan I used my home made sand blaster which consisted of a gas bottle with a 1 fitting welded at top and bottom. The bottle pressurises with a air and sand mix and the hose fires through the bottom propelling the media. Worked really well but I was constantly out of air.

I have a sealey 3hp 150l compressor. So not a small naff one.

I reckon my creation was a tad too big and the 1 discharge hose I believe was too big. As was 1/4air feed from comp.

Has anyone used or bought a pressure pot/ siphon blaster and had good results? Or found an alternative for paint prep. I dont want to add water into the mix.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackrobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

A little off-topic, but as you have done a pan, I assume it is a Beetle shell you are planning to sandblast. Whilst it would be ok to do the shuts/inner wings/unseen areas, sand blasting will distort 'open' panelwork. The metal will actually grow towards the side being blasted and can cause significant distortion.

Most folks state that it is the heat generated which warps the panel - it's one of those myths which just won't die, and is demonstrably incorrect as wet blasting makes the distortion far worse. The effect is as follows. Each particle of abrasive indents the surface, creating a jagged crater with the metal having been pushed out around the 'pit'. The millions (billions?) of tiny craters create compressive forces in the blasted skin of the steel, and the net effect of these forces trying to equalise is that the metal bulges towards the blasted surface. Peen forming or straightening and controlled peening for fatigue life works on exactly these principles and is an interesting and little-known subject worthy or research.