Volkszone Forum banner

Splitscreen Shysters

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Chino_uk 
#1 ·
WARNING: The following tale of shysters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer...is no.

So, I had my Bug trailered back from the mechanics from a Guy (he was literally called Guy). Very nice chap, with quite a bit experience of shipping old cars to and from Felixstowe port.

He told me about a couple of brothers from down Southampton way who had imported a "rusty" old splitscreen from Europe. It turns out it was apparently 'barely scrappable' yet the brothers had paid 5 grand for it. For anyone outside the VW scene, this seems crazy which I tend to agree with, but that's a whole other thread ;) Now, my trailer Guy asked what they had in store for the splitty. The bro's answer is where it gets worrying.

6 grand had sorted a deal with a group of Eesstun 'Uropeens to fully 'restore' the camper to an apparent saleable condition. Welding, paint, engine, running gear - the lot. Oh and they had promised a 5-6 week turnaround. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt this group's ability and skills. Yet, I don't see how 6k could get you anywhere near the parts and bits needed for a full ground-up splitty resto! That's not even mentioning labour. Let's just say, I doubt that they could do a showing winning resto for that money :rolleyes:

The brothers who bought the Splitty chuckled when asked how much they would make when selling it on - *please see any for-sale-ad for a 'recently restored' Splitscreen Camper.

Now is that morally wrong or are they pragmatists just making money off a silly market?

See less See more
#3 ·
WARNING: The following tale of shysters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer...is no.
I'm utterly confused by the above. :confused:I haven't managed to get past it yet. :lol:

#11 ·
Now is that morally wrong or are they pragmatists just making money off a silly market?
Ignoring the validity of the tale; my view is simply that if one can make a good return on investment on a car, house or whatever then it isn't morally wrong.

If it is a complete bodge then the morals are questionable but many a millionaire has become so by making money in a growing or emerging marketplace.

#20 ·
I've heard of this, sending a vehicle to Poland etc to have it repaired/restored on the cheap. Parts might cost the same but labour rates can be lower and as a large % of the total bill is labour there could be savings. However, quality could be compromised to some extent?

Why do some people have a problem with profit in the UK?
It's like it's a dirty word.
Without profit nothing in commerce/industry would exist, why would it?

A recent example of profit is the Brighton bug, bought on the cheap and flipped for £££s. Is that a shyster taking advantage or an opportunist spotting a bargain and turning it to their advantage?

#21 ·
I've heard of this, sending a vehicle to Poland etc to have it repaired/restored on the cheap. Parts might cost the same but labour rates can be lower and as a large % of the total bill is labour there could be savings. However, quality could be compromised to some extent?

Why do some people have a problem with profit in the UK?
It's like it's a dirty word.
Without profit nothing in commerce/industry would exist, why would it?

A recent example of profit is the Brighton bug, bought on the cheap and flipped for £££s. Is that a shyster taking advantage or an opportunist spotting a bargain and turning it to their advantage?
A wise man once said on here 'You walk to your own beat' and that's true. If you're happy profiteering then good for you, but don't expect everybody to have the same moral compass :)

#23 ·
I think as long as the work is up to standard and the vehicle is safe it's fine. If someone is prepared to pay a price they think it is worth, then fine. Is this pretty much not what a load of established places are doing? Shipping in buses they buy cheap from abroad, tidying them up a little then making a decent mark up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.