Electrics What wires do I need to repair engine fire 1303 1974 - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #11
Speedy Jim
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Yes, that should be adequate.
Speedy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

Hi Jim,

What Do I do with the 3 wires that fed my old externally regulated alternator? (The red, brown and green that connected via the rubber boot at the top of old alternator)? Do I need these anymore or shall I chop them off?

So, I have battery lead (red and white from the big white splice going to B+ on new alternator and the blue wire from the regulator going straight to the D+ spade. Is that all I need to do for it to work?

Thanks

Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Jim View Post
Ouch!
Well, as a start, download this diagram:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/130...ust_1971-2.jpg
It's for '72 but should be like yours except for the Dynamo.
I'm assuming that the old alternator is fried and will be replaced with a newer internally regulated type.

Note the "Diagnostic" socket in the upper left corner. That has a dozen or so wires which must be disconnected to avoid future problems. In the diagram the socket is T20.

Where the loom passes thru the rear seat area to the engine bay, the opening was sealed with foam at the factory. That can make it difficult to pull wires thru, especially if it all melted. Just a Heads up.

Each wire in the diagram has its size shown (in mm2) as well as the colour. The orange circles with a number indicate wires which connect to the Diagnostic socket.

The Dynamo regulator shown (C1), will not be present, nor the dynamo. You will need the 6.0 mm2 Red wire to connect to the new alternator. And the Blu 0.5 mm2 wire (shown on Term #61) to connect to the D+ spade on the new alternator.

Get this photo from Samba:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/855144.jpg
It shows how the rear seat wiring looks on your car. For the new alternator, remove the regulator (black box in pic). Find the thin Blu wire in the 4-pin socket and extend that wire to the new alternator D+ spade. The long white plastic splice connector has the main battery connections and one 6.0 mm2 Red wire can be extended from there to the alternator B+ stud.

There will be more questions later but this should get you started on the project.

More electrickery on
Speedy Jim's new web site:
http://www.SpeedyJim.net
matthehatmcvitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Mr.Whippy

Trading feedback: (3)

Mat - just letting you know that unfortunately Jim passed away last year.

I'll help as best I can... So am I correct that you've swapped from an external regulated alternator to an internally regulated one ?

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #14
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

Hi Dave. I'm so sorry to hear that. He was a great help as are you, of course.

He'll be greatly missed.

Yes I have swapped an external for an internally regulated Alternator. Just a bit baffled by all the wires. I know I have three looms coming into the engine bay, but the fire singed them quite badly.

The lighting loom I'll get to later but the B+ and red, brown, green one that went on top of old alt. What do do with all that?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #15
Mr.Whippy

OK - This is from Jim's website (still up) -

http://www.speedyjim.net/schem/alt1.gif

So the thinner red, brown & green wires that sat on the top of the old alternator can be removed from the car. They run back to the regulator box under the back seat which should also be removed.

The thick red/white wire bolts to the wiring post on the new alt and this wires back to the splice under the back seat, and from there to the + side of the battery so it can re-charge the battery through this wire.

The new alt will have a single spade terminal, this wires back to the ignition warning lamp on the dash. If you look at the multi plug where your regulator used to connect to, there will be a thin blue wire going to it coming from the front of the car. this is the wire you need to extend out to the spade terminal on top of the alternator.

So your new alt only needs 2 wires, a heavy one that goes back to the battery, and a thin one that goes to the dashboard warning light.

Hope you can follow that ok ?

Dave.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #16
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

perfectly followed, thanks so much.
Old 19-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

looks like the previous owner had already extended that blue wire from the front of the car to the back. See pic. It turns red here and that was the red wire that was connected to the old externally regulated alternator. so seems like a job off the list!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator wires under seat.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	272415  
Old 19-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #18
Mr.Whippy

So that red wire goes up to the light in the speedo ? Should be a blue wire all the way from the alt warning bulb in the back of the speedo right through to the alternator. Check it to be sure.

If you want to check, put the ignition on, then tap the blue wire to earth whilst watching the alternator warning light on the clock. The lamp should light whenever that wire is earthed.

Does that red wire run inside the original wiring loom outer sleeve or has someone retro fitted it ?

Personally I'd cut out all those blue crimp connections, clean back the wires, solder them then cover with glue lined heatshrink. Much better connection, provided you're OK with soldering and know what a good solder joint looks like. Fiddly job mind you, especially if you don't have enough length to play with.

Dave.
Old 19-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #19
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

The blue wire goes to the front of the car, speedo I'm assuming. the red wire is then connected to the end of the blue wire under the back seat and continues to the engine bay where it connected to the alternator (i think). I guess the previous owner couldn't find any blue wire to continue the line in the same colour which had me bloody confused to be honest. i don't have the engine in the car so will that test still work as long as the battery is connected?

The blue crimp connectors have been solid for the 5 years i've had the car. i might leave them for now if they aren't causing any problems, only ecause I have a list as long as my arm to sort out to have any chance of getting it back on the road.

Fit new alternator
fit new clutch kit,
change oil seals and o rings
fit the electric fuel pump and channel the wiring for that
clean out and repair twin carbs.

All with a spare hour or two here and there as I have a three year old that doesn't give me a minute's peace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
So that red wire goes up to the light in the speedo ? Should be a blue wire all the way from the alt warning bulb in the back of the speedo right through to the alternator. Check it to be sure.

If you want to check, put the ignition on, then tap the blue wire to earth whilst watching the alternator warning light on the clock. The lamp should light whenever that wire is earthed.

Does that red wire run inside the original wiring loom outer sleeve or has someone retro fitted it ?

Personally I'd cut out all those blue crimp connections, clean back the wires, solder them then cover with glue lined heatshrink. Much better connection, provided you're OK with soldering and know what a good solder joint looks like. Fiddly job mind you, especially if you don't have enough length to play with.

Dave.
Old 19-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #20
Mr.Whippy

Sounds OK, I couldn't figure from the photo which way round was which ;-)
I would get a length of blue wire to replace the red so it keeps the standard colours, and will help you and any future owner in the future. Wires that change colour part way through the loom can be very confusing to say the least.

Yes, battery on, tap the end of the wire to ground, you should see the alt light come on whenever the connector is earthed. Whist you're at it do the same with the oil pressure wire, it works the oil pressure warning light in the same way and will prove it through to the engine bay.

Dave.
Reply Post New Thread