Advice on wild Camping - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales
 
Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

     
 

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > CAMPING, HOLIDAYS, TRIPS, NIGHTS OUT > Wild Camping

Wild Camping Wild camping has never been more popular. Discuss it here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
runningmonkey
I really must get out more
 
runningmonkey's Avatar

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bury , Greater Manchester
Posts: 7,876
Default Advice on wild Camping

Hi all

I just got a new motor home and we really want to go and do some wild camping in it this year (Obv once Covid allows).

Am just after a bit of advice on to where to start, and have a few questions

1. How safe is wild camping? has anyone ever had any issues with parking over night in laybys or beach car parks etc.

2. How legal is it? I presume if you find a layby or secluded plot and there are no signs stating no overnight parking / private land, you can legally stop overnight?

As soon as covid allows we're going to head somewhere, either Lakes district / Lancashire way or Derbyshire / Cheshire way. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to stop or any tips, would be helpful

Cheers
__________________
My 1956 Oval Drag beetle Little Horus -

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1189194
runningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older


VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the middle of someone's 'story' . . . mostly
Posts: 127,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningmonkey View Post
Hi all

I just got a new motor home and we really want to go and do some wild camping in it this year (Obv once Covid allows).

Am just after a bit of advice on to where to start, and have a few questions

1. How safe is wild camping? has anyone ever had any issues with parking over night in laybys or beach car parks etc.

2. How legal is it? I presume if you find a layby or secluded plot and there are no signs stating no overnight parking / private land, you can legally stop overnight?

As soon as covid allows we're going to head somewhere, either Lakes district / Lancashire way or Derbyshire / Cheshire way. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to stop or any tips, would be helpful

Cheers
Laybys are a bit of a no-no in as much as they're meant to be kept clear/just used for short stops/breaks.

Plenty of councils allow camping near their beaches though - check out New Brighton (Merseyside) for example. The council allow 'wild' camping in quite a few locations.

This site has some useful info:

trespass.com/advice/wild-camping-legal/

Good luck. Be safe.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #3
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 15,435
Default

IIRC actual wild camping is illegal in England and Wales. As Brian has said there are places that allow overnight stays. There are also plenty of places that turn a blind eye to it, as long as you're respectful of the surroundings.

I've stayed overnight in Lakes on numerous occasions, but always high up, above all properties and making sure the van looked parked, rather than pitched. No awnings, bbqs, etc.

There are also places (pubs, sports clubs, etc) that allow you to stay in their car park for the price of a few pints in the bar or a nominal fee. The Dungeon Ghyll, in the Langdales, did allow it for a donation to the mountain rescue. Several beaches in North Wales have car parks and again a fiver normally gets you an overnight stay. You're unlikely to have any facilities.

Scotland is different, you can pretty much park on a beach, by the side of a loch and Robert is your mother's brother. Loch Lomond has restrictions, it's not worth it when there's so many other spots.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 15,435
Default

I think Exmoor has a relaxed attitude to wild camping.

*I'll keep adding more as I remember.

*Edit* I've just checked, it's Dartmoor.

Last edited by Sol Ford; 06-01-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
runningmonkey
I really must get out more
 
runningmonkey's Avatar

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bury , Greater Manchester
Posts: 7,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
IIRC actual wild camping is illegal in England and Wales. As Brian has said there are places that allow overnight stays. There are also plenty of places that turn a blind eye to it, as long as you're respectful of the surroundings.

I've stayed overnight in Lakes on numerous occasions, but always high up, above all properties and making sure the van looked parked, rather than pitched. No awnings, bbqs, etc.

There are also places (pubs, sports clubs, etc) that allow you to stay in their car park for the price of a few pints in the bar or a nominal fee. The Dungeon Ghyll, in the Langdales, did allow it for a donation to the mountain rescue. Several beaches in North Wales have car parks and again a fiver normally gets you an overnight stay. You're unlikely to have any facilities.

Scotland is different, you can pretty much park on a beach, by the side of a loch and Robert is your mother's brother. Loch Lomond has restrictions, it's not worth it when there's so many other spots.
Thanks for the advice, it all sounds complicated, we may just stick to normal camp sites!

I take it you never had any trouble when you’ve parked in the Lakes? No one ever knocked you up at 3am. I think the only wild camping Iv really done is camping outside the POD when I arrive to late and the gates are lock. I would like to tour the lakes and Scotland is definitely on the menu to do.
__________________
My 1956 Oval Drag beetle Little Horus -

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1189194
runningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 15,435
Default

It's not complicated, you just need to be aware of the surroundings and how obvious you stand out. With wild camping, the trick is turn up late and leave early. If you can avoid a busy road, do so.

You could park opposite Owd Betts and you'd probably be fine. Go half a mile towards Ramsbottom and there's the ruins of a mill/farmhouse just off the main road, park there and no one would even see you. Go the other way and the road to Red Lumb (?) is a dead end, it's ideal. Round the back of the Garic yard, there's a cobbled road, no one uses it, except the two or three properties on it.

I know these aren't particularly worth camping at, considering where you live, but they'll give you a feel of what to look for.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
clarkson's Avatar

Trading feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perriwoo
Posts: 52,678
Default

I have camped in dozens of places all over. Never had a moments bother.
__________________
It's all about the FWEEM!!
clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
runningmonkey
I really must get out more
 
runningmonkey's Avatar

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bury , Greater Manchester
Posts: 7,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
It's not complicated, you just need to be aware of the surroundings and how obvious you stand out. With wild camping, the trick is turn up late and leave early. If you can avoid a busy road, do so.

You could park opposite Owd Betts and you'd probably be fine. Go half a mile towards Ramsbottom and there's the ruins of a mill/farmhouse just off the main road, park there and no one would even see you. Go the other way and the road to Red Lumb (?) is a dead end, it's ideal. Round the back of the Garic yard, there's a cobbled road, no one uses it, except the two or three properties on it.

I know these aren't particularly worth camping at, considering where you live, but they'll give you a feel of what to look for.
Thanks for that, I thought about camping opposite Owd Betts just to give it a try. But its 10 minutes from my house so like you said

There a few nice place around Skipton area, so if we do ever come out of tier 4 and the camp site are not yet open I will try around that area and see if we can find some nice spots.
__________________
My 1956 Oval Drag beetle Little Horus -

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1189194
runningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #9
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 15,435
Default

If you want to try somewhere local:

Do you know Broadhead Road? It's the one out of Edgeworth towards Grain Road. There's a rough/unofficial bike scrambling track, on the right. I've heard that's quiet.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Disclaimer: For recreational purposes only, some assembly required. Any resemblance to real persons,
living or dead is purely intentional and the site admins are not responsible for direct, indirect,
incidental or consequential ridicule resulting from any defect or failure to perform. No animals
were harmed in the creation of this forum. Colours may fade over time. No other warranty expressed or implied.

volkszone.com

SupportingSupporting Brad's Cancer Foundation

 










 
© Volkszone • Terms and Conditions of use



volkszone.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on volkszone.com is generated by its users. volkszone.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.