Are Bugs really selling for over 7k...? - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion > Dude! What's My Car Worth?

Dude! What's My Car Worth? If you really have no idea what your car (or parts) are worth, then ask here (rather than in Chat/Discussion.) Beware though any offers of payment, swaps, etc. contained in replies will be deleted. If you want to sell - use VZi Classifieds.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 29-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (25)

After years in the doldrums of the classic world, good bugs are now starting to fetch big money. Mainly pre 67 stuff (the older it is, the dearer) but that is naturally having an effect on late bug prices too.

That said there are still bargains to be had if you steer clear of the likes of eBay. I spotted a good, solid (but scruffy) 65 bug for 2.5k recently on Faceache. It sold almost immediately though.

As Bri said (typed) the best way to gauge perhaps is to do a find on eBay for completed auction listings and see what things actually raised.

https://www.facebook.com/fatpugcreative/

Range of Christmas, Birthday & Greetings Cards now available from my eBay store:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fatpuggre...p2047675.l2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twon View Post
No man is an island. Except Barry. Barry Island is an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happystamps View Post
Not wanting to be a cunt, and I know it's a quote, but...

Barry Island is a peninsula.
smull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

A lot of pricey beetles seem to get constantly re-listed on eBay , and the even dearer white background dealer ones must be getting flat spots on their tires too :-0
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
GARRICK.CLARK
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

to keep the value up on my bug means it has to be stored from September to April/May, no driving it in that period due to salt/rain wanting to eat it.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Anyone else watch Bangers and Cash? A rough enough beige RS2000 that had been stolen and then sat in a garage for 20odd years, the head was missing and had gapping holes in the sills sold at the auction for 10,500!!
Most if not all classic stuff seems to be rocketing in price. That and like most of us remember Bugs from the late 90s when 1500 got you a decent enough bug with MOT and a minter was 3-4000 and those prices still in my head.
My dad has kept his last two cars for a long time, his Nissan Sunny was 9500 brand new in 1992 so when we went looking for a new (2nd hand) car recently I near dropped at what 6k got you now........but when I checked the equivalent car was around 18000.
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Anyone else watch Bangers and Cash? A rough enough beige RS2000 that had been stolen and then sat in a garage for 20odd years, the head was missing and had gapping holes in the sills sold at the auction for 10,500!!
Most if not all classic stuff seems to be rocketing in price.
Bangers and Cash is a recent (but not current) programme. I've noticed things had started to change before the Corona crisis; the reign of the 100k Sierra Cosworth was very short lived and I would imagine there are a few sat down with very burned fingers right now.

I've had a saunter through Car & Classic this morning and the asking prices are the same as ever, sadly I think the wishful thinking will end soon. I can't see anyone giving big money for a classic right now, or anytime soon. Just in my humble opinion of course.

Range of Christmas, Birthday & Greetings Cards now available from my eBay store:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smull View Post
Bangers and Cash is a recent (but not current) programme. I've noticed things had started to change before the Corona crisis; the reign of the 100k Sierra Cosworth was very short lived and I would imagine there are a few sat down with very burned fingers right now.

I've had a saunter through Car & Classic this morning and the asking prices are the same as ever, sadly I think the wishful thinking will end soon. I can't see anyone giving big money for a classic right now, or anytime soon. Just in my humble opinion of course.
I'd have to agree with you dude atm don't see much if anything shifting at all.
Prices on carandclassic always quite high especially dealers of classic stuff (seem to be a lot of them)
'02 Octy VRS
Old 01-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #17
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I'd have to agree with you dude atm don't see much if anything shifting at all.
Prices on carandclassic always quite high especially dealers of classic stuff (seem to be a lot of them)
Starting to see some real bargains on Faceache, an MOTd driving Boxster for 1500 and Im sure that was just realistic, rather than an outright bargain in the current market.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #18
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smull View Post
I can't see anyone giving big money for a classic right now, or anytime soon. Just in my humble opinion of course.
As someone who has a few classics as my pension, I fear you are right. My 'pension pot' may well have devalued somewhat.

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #19
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
As someone who has a few classics as my pension, I fear you are right. My 'pension pot' may well have devalued somewhat.

Im sure itll recover. I think prices had been getting a bit silly anyway, the 100k plus Cossie being the obvious example. Im seeing some crazy cheap stuff in the States right now (people now needing to pay unexpected medical bills?) including a complete (but in need of some resto) 55 oval with title at 3k.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #20
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Haven't really bought mags for years but took out a sub for Volksworld again there to help occupy some time over the coming weeks/months.
Have noticed quite a few post 68 cars featured made to look earlier. I know folks have always done this but they're done to a really high standard and wondering is this a sign of the 60s stuff just getting too dear?
'02 Octy VRS
Reply Post New Thread