Sunny The Mexibug - Another Smull Budget Mexi Project - Page 21 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 27-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #201
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
I think the key to getting it looking just right will be to stick with mods that the factory would have done. So not too low, or too individual/personal, and keep it period as far as visual mods.

Carry on.
100%! you want it to look like the model VW could have made to make people wonder if it was a genuine model.
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #202
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Oettinger seemed to have got the look right in my eyes. Kamei spoiler, steels and stripes.

]
that's class, although I'm not sure of the gold bits! Something along those lines with red stripes would be interesting
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #203
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (25)

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Oettinger seemed to have got the look right in my eyes. Kamei spoiler, steels and stripes.
That sort of thing, it's along the right lines but I'd do things slightly differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
100%! you want it to look like the model VW could have made to make people wonder if it was a genuine model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
I think the key to getting it looking just right will be to stick with mods that the factory would have done.
Zackerly. If and when the plan comes to fruition I want people to do a double take when they see it & for it to be convincing enough that they believe it may have been a factory model that they just never heard about.

https://www.facebook.com/fatpugcreative/

Range of Christmas, Birthday & Greetings Cards now available from my eBay store:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fatpuggre...p2047675.l2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twon View Post
No man is an island. Except Barry. Barry Island is an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happystamps View Post
Not wanting to be a cunt, and I know it's a quote, but...

Barry Island is a peninsula.
smull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #204
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Mexi ? jeans bug. Assuming these are marathons (widened?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3134AA62-9D87-490A-AB36-DD924A463862.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	274283  
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #205
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaghan View Post
Mexi ? jeans bug. Assuming these are marathons (widened?)
I think itís Ďjustí a seventies jeans, or at least the decals are. There were two (I think) Mexi Jeans editions; one in the eighties and one in the nineties.

Wheels are marathons though

Range of Christmas, Birthday & Greetings Cards now available from my eBay store:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 23-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #206
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Default And so it begins....

It's time. In amongst legendary RR threads such as Mr.Slug's 'Das Boot' and Glen's 'Das Emmerdale Farm' it is time for the Vzi collective to lower their sights somewhat.

Prepare for more pictures than action. Prepare for incompetence. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

It's exactly a year to the day since 'Sunny' rolled onto the driveway and the poor misguided souls that follow this thread will know that all I've done is clean it, procrastinate and then clean it again. Truth be told, I'd spotted a few things whilst cleaning that I knew were not good and would only get worse with a prod 'n' a poke. Life took over and a lack of time and inclination both led me to tackle those issues by leaving Sunny locked away. I can't remember who said 'problems are best locked away and ignored' but I think they ended up committing suicide.

The good(?) thing about lockdown is that the usual lack of time excuses are rendered null & void and so, with yet another glorious day breaking over Castle GreySmull, I could procrastinate no more.

02B86B3F-63C3-4069-AFB1-42D8FE40E3AF by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

You can tell I haven't wielded spanners in anger for a long time because of my level of naivety. At the start of the day I had grand plans to remove all 4 wings, the bumpers, running boards and lights. I had completely forgotten that the 35 year old bolts would have other plans that would not extend to being easily removed.

The time lapse neatly shows the shadow of passing time and my fight against my arch nemesis; the setting sun. What it does not show are the cuts, bruises, aches, pains and next level swearing.

That said, by close of play I was close to my target and had removed 3 wings, the bumpers, lights and 1 running board leaving me with this by close of play:

C507CD8A-1C6C-42D6-A6A1-B7C5B55ECA51 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

Sunny looks rather lovely in the spring sunshine (and from a distance of several metres) but stay tuned and I shall take you through my not so lovely discoveries.

More follows....

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by smull; 27-04-2020 at 04:38 PM..
Old 23-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #207
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Default Progress

As mentioned in my last gripping instalment, I had noticed things about Sunny that filled me with dread. Things I had chosen to ignore....until now. First up, I noticed that she'd taken a bump to the nose at some point which explained the incorrect (68-73) headlights which I intend to change for the original Mk1 Golf units.

So it's safe to say that she's had new front wings and headlights to repair her after a dice with death. What hasn't been properly repaired is the front wheel well area which has been quite crudely pulled out leaving it badly rippled in the process. You can see this best from inside the bonnet:

740064D6-BAE3-4059-8B53-75C47A59F6EB by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

I can't see any other obvious crash damage (and she isn't on the register) but she'll need a new front clip, that's for sure. Looking on the bright side this isn't the end of the world because things are more than a little crispy up front anyway:

AD116F8C-7BF3-457E-9B06-4F07C4A6B041 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

7D25DE35-8526-4BC1-96AF-689AFC1D1586 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

5C7A4D34-0D9A-4382-9DA7-24CEFB3CE078 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

With that in mind, does anybody know how far back the 'front clip' repair panel goes? The pics on the websites of the usual suspects only seem to show the panel from the front so it's hard to gauge.

More bad news was to follow after I removed what was left of the passenger side running board and there is a special place in hell reserved for the person who waxoyled it (and the bolts holding it on) so heavily. May your pubes turn into drumsticks and beat your bollocks off.

As you can see, the sill and heater channel closing plate are toast....

193D296B-E427-420B-B32C-D73ADCD10B4C by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

909B2BD2-ED16-48B4-AA94-69B1D4392C82 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

C8FE1AD5-7A7E-4F11-92AD-E7849AE0052B by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

....with attention required to the rear inner wing around the torsion bar too.

Moving to the other side, things were better but still needing attention. I dunno what it is with bugs but one side always fairs worse than the other.

44929CCC-B164-4569-A06C-D207529D0140 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

1D669AB2-AD80-4E5D-A62F-DB601EAB0B5E by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

So there you have it, you're up to speed. I'm yet to remove the driver's side running board and rear wing but when I do, I shall report back with my findings. At first glance, I expect it to be better than the passenger side but still in need of attention.

Watch this space.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 23-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #208
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Default And finally....

If you'll indulge me, I shall share my final thoughts for today in a Jerry Springer stylee. Truth be told, I'd hoped for better from Sunny (I'd hoped for another Rudolph) but it wasn't to be and it is what it is and we are where we are.

Looking on the bright side; there are many areas of the car that are great and thus far I can't see any prior welding which makes it a far better proposition than a plated up shitter.

I do however wish that I'd ignored the people who told me that I'd 'grow out of Beetles' and learned to weld....because Sunny most definitely needs welding.

Still, with the support of VZi and Gonzales the Mexi-monkey I shall get there!

0D64A42D-9168-44EF-9E19-233184DA28DE by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

Until next time, take care of yourselves....and each other.

Love & hugs & stuff,

Smull
x

Quote:
Quote:

Old 23-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #209
type3
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (10)

type3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #210
veedweeb
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Welding's not that difficult with a bit of practice. Get yourself a MIG and give it a go

And now on YouTube too: Click Here
veedweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread