So, Isolation - what have you got planned? - Page 42 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 31-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #411
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Lots of my family and friends were ill with corona symptoms 3 weeks before this hit the shores. I suspect it's been around longer than we think and we never even realised. Now all these deaths are being attributed to it. The media is blowing it up and not taking natural death rates into account or the actual reason why people are dying or the condition they are in before they are just another 'corona victim'. The more testing they push for increases the known infection rate so we can count more numbers and the media can spread more fear .....good for headlines and continuing this social experiment in control through fear.......fear of the bomb......fear if terrorism....people were starting to wake up so now a new worldwide fear of a flu.....
And who better to control the public than the public.
New cases of people dying are on the whole the ill, immune suppressed and weak, who would have been killed by the flu anyway. Younger ones may have underlying health issues not reported, how woukd we know otherwise?

This has been uses as a reason to shut this country down. Saddle the working slave masses to a future of debt repayment and probably more austerity. Banks are laughing their ass off. Destroy small business. Big business was prepared for this. Restrict our freedoms and privacies. Empower the police and noone batted an eyelid. Transfer wealth from the public purse to private. I'm sure many in the know will have made a mint on the stock markets. Just look into Cat bonds and pandemic bonds....it must last 13 weeks. Businesses bought up cheap by those with unlimited funds. Demonised cash money for its dangerous virus spreading ability......oh how our finanual overlords want cash gone it's masks where all the money was 'created' in the first place. Fiat financial system and national debts were at tipping point for many countries, now the financial colapse of countries and possibly europe can be masked behind a pandemic. Devaluation of the dollar, look who's been buying up all the gold for the last few years.
If the country had 400 million to spend supporting employees lost wages we should have let them work and keep our country strong and 400 million be spend on the NHS and isolating protecting and feeding the needy.
But it's ok. .....were prepared for the next flu with all our spare ventilators. They know we can be controlled like good little sheeple, and will deffo be presing the flu button again!

Today I've been mostly ranting
That's an interesting viewpoint Al - and not one I share, to be honest.

I think this pandemic is very 'real' and we all need to be looking out for each other - and doing all we can to limit the spread of the virus.

I don't really want to get into an argument about it either. We'll just have to agree to differ.

I'll add, stay safe mate.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #412
Greg McD
VZ Staff

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

The more I read of Big Al's post, the more I was forming a reply to it in my head. I'm glad I read this reply first as it's more measured -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post

I think this pandemic is very 'real' and we all need to be looking out for each other - and doing all we can to limit the spread of the virus.

I don't really want to get into an argument about it either. We'll just have to agree to differ.

This is not the time for tinfoil hats. Stay indoors where possible. Avoid contact with people. Wash your hands...and stay safe and well.
Old 31-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #413
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (7)

Quote:

I'm not suggesting the flu isn't real, just not as it's being reported.

Don't want any arguments and don't expect many to agree with me that's fine too.

Old 31-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #414
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McD View Post
The more I read of Big Al's post, the more I was forming a reply to it in my head. I'm glad I read this reply first as it's more measured -

This is not the time for tinfoil hats. Stay indoors where possible. Avoid contact with people. Wash your hands...and stay safe and well.
This. /\

I have been biting my tongue resisting the temptation to reply, because I really don’t want to taint this thread with any kind of debate, especially on such a contentious point of view, that can only be regarded as a ‘personal point of view’

Big Al is entitled to his view, and it did make an interesting read
mr slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #415
alfie the monster

Garage floor paint arrived today, that's another job to do

Any idea of products I may have around the house that would be ok at shifting a small patch of oil where my car has sweated horsepower on the floor? I thought a good scrub with washing up liquid and water might be ok before painting over it
alfie the monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #416
Samage

Well, I've been furloughed so I'm taking a 20% pay cut. "Still, at least I have a job and an income." I thought.

Then we get an "off the record" email from the boss saying that once furlough ends, some if not most of us will be made redundant. They don't know how many or who yet.

They have to keep us around for the duration of furlough though, or they won't be eligible for the scheme. Small mercies, and all that.
Old 31-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #417
Greg McD
VZ Staff

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie the monster View Post
a small patch of oil where my car has sweated horsepower on the floor?
I've not heard it described like that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samage View Post
Then we get an "off the record" email from the boss saying that once furlough ends, some if not most of us will be made redundant.
Ouch. Fingers crossed.
Old 31-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #418
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie the monster View Post
Garage floor paint arrived today, that's another job to do

Any idea of products I may have around the house that would be ok at shifting a small patch of oil where my car has sweated horsepower on the floor? I thought a good scrub with washing up liquid and water might be ok before painting over it
Some petrol or even turps/white spirit on a cloth (if you have any) will shift it first, then some detergent afterwards if necessary.

Good luck dude.
Old 31-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #419
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samage View Post
Well, I've been furloughed so I'm taking a 20% pay cut. "Still, at least I have a job and an income." I thought.

Then we get an "off the record" email from the boss saying that once furlough ends, some if not most of us will be made redundant. They don't know how many or who yet.

They have to keep us around for the duration of furlough though, or they won't be eligible for the scheme. Small mercies, and all that.
Oof!

Good luck fellah.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #420
Big Al

Trading feedback: (7)

Quote:
Some petrol or even turps/white spirit on a cloth (if you have any) will shift it first, then some detergent afterwards if necessary.

Good luck dude.
Turps. Isopropol. Carb cleaner (think that's possibly iso too) or anything alcohol that's not drinkable so not adding oil to oil. Failing that as above works too.
Reply Post New Thread