Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Volkszone Technical Difficulties

Volkszone Technical Difficulties Any issues and concerns with the Volkszone website, please post them here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 15-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
HelenaAG
VZ Editor

Trading feedback: (0)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige G View Post
Did you actually mean to type "Reusing passwords can expose your other accounts because we used piss poor security and we were compromised"?

Why has this taken so long to be exposed? You were hacked in February FFS!!
Again - the third party vendor/plugin that was hacked is the one exploiting passwords.

Users need to make sure they are not using the same passwords across various sites for social media, e-commerce, banking etc..

The data is from Feb and we just found out within the last 72 hours or so.

Not trying to sugar coat anything, just trying to give you all a heads up and warm you to update passwords.

Jeff M
HelenaAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Sam Jelfs
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaAG View Post
The additional security measures have already been put in and the email will go out soon.

Updating a network as large as ours, notifications, testing, and developing fail safes do take some time but should be ready within the next 24-48 hours.

Jeff M
You had time to update multiple forums with a bluff piece about updating security, but not too say "we believe we may have been hacked, please change passwords asap"?
Sam Jelfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Sam Jelfs

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaAG View Post
Again - the third party vendor/plugin that was hacked is the one exploiting passwords.

Users need to make sure they are not using the same passwords across various sites for social media, e-commerce, banking etc..

The data is from Feb and we just found out within the last 72 hours or so.

Not trying to sugar coat anything, just trying to give you all a heads up and warm you to update passwords.

Jeff M
Now you are, but not in the first post on this thread, only when you have been called out for lying.
Sam Jelfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #14
HelenaAG
VZ Editor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige G View Post
What a load of fluff and bullshit.

Whether it was your own system or a plug in that you use, your database was still hacked 4 months ago and you didn't bother to tell anyone and then to rub salt in the wound you try to hide behind some crap about making security changes to make it a better experience for us.

I'm not angry at VS for being hacked, it happens. What I'm pissed off with is the complete lack of transparency about the situation and a total lack of respect for the users of this site by bullshitting about it and trying to hide it.
Note:

- Our database was not hacked, login info from the vendor was hacked (only info we know of to date - user name, pass, email)
- this was just exposed within the last 72 hours
- we are taking all proper precautions to make sure no user accounts or communities are harmed.'

Jeff M
Old 15-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #15
HelenaAG
VZ Editor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jelfs View Post
You had time to update multiple forums with a bluff piece about updating security, but not too say "we believe we may have been hacked, please change passwords asap"?
Yes that was an automated post network-wide with an original message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jelfs View Post
Now you are, but not in the first post on this thread, only when you have been called out for lying.
I have not lied, you can go back and forth on this but we have shared all we can at this time.

Jeff M
Old 16-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
Hermann
Seasoned Chat Slut

The locked sticky above this one states.

Quote:
Please Note this does not impact the Home page Functions in any way. Your Password will remain as it is on there.
What are 'Home Page Functions'?

And does this mean our old passwords are still stored and used for part of the site and new reset ones for another part of the site? As that is how it reads to me.
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
HelenaAG
VZ Editor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
The locked sticky above this one states.

What are 'Home Page Functions'?

And does this mean our old passwords are still stored and used for part of the site and new reset ones for another part of the site? As that is how it reads to me.
I think they mean the homepage word press or article section.

So that one should stay the same.

It does not appear the homepage passwords where involved in the breach.

jeff M
Old 16-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
DarrenW
Holy Calamity

New passwords are being sent out via email in plain text? Jesus. FFS.

http://plaintextoffenders.com/faq/devs
Old 17-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #19
veedubjunky

Trading feedback: (15)

I have just discovered when logging in again on my iPad for the first time that the system did not save my new password, I referred back to my 8 digit email code and tried that and it logged me in, marvellous!
veedubjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #20
misteralz
I'm not an addict... honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubjunky View Post
I have just discovered when logging in again on my iPad for the first time that the system did not save my new password, I referred back to my 8 digit email code and tried that and it logged me in, marvellous!
I've just had to do the same, but on my laptop. Twenty minutes after I'd changed my password from the 'temporary' one...