Are Bugs really selling for over £7k...? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion > Dude! What's My Car Worth?

Dude! What's My Car Worth? If you really have no idea what your car (or parts) are worth, then ask here (rather than in Chat/Discussion.) Beware though any offers of payment, swaps, etc. contained in replies will be deleted. If you want to sell - use VZi Classifieds.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Are Bugs really selling for over £7k...?

A house move in the spring means I shall probably have to find a new home for our 69 1500 beetle. So I started looking around at what people are asking, and I just can’t get my head around the number of bugs with price tags of over £7000…

Last time I sold a standard 70’s bug (maybe 10 years ago) you could buy a decent runner for under £2k, something reasonably smart and rot-free for £3-4k and £6k would pretty much get you a show car. Seems the current prices are literally double that.

Now we all know what people ask for and the cash they actually make are rarely the same, particularly at this time of year, but I’d love to know what cars are actually changing hands for…

Anyone prepared to post any actual figures….?
Just the basics, eg: RHD 1970 1300, restored, sold in Jan for £xxxx?
Blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue72 View Post
A house move in the spring means I shall probably have to find a new home for our 69 1500 beetle. So I started looking around at what people are asking, and I just can’t get my head around the number of bugs with price tags of over £7000…

Last time I sold a standard 70’s bug (maybe 10 years ago) you could buy a decent runner for under £2k, something reasonably smart and rot-free for £3-4k and £6k would pretty much get you a show car. Seems the current prices are literally double that.

Now we all know what people ask for and the cash they actually make are rarely the same, particularly at this time of year, but I’d love to know what cars are actually changing hands for…

Anyone prepared to post any actual figures….?
Just the basics, eg: RHD 1970 1300, restored, sold in Jan for £xxxx?
I recently sold a 1966 'stock' Bug, US import originally (LHD) for £17K.

It was particularly nice and very original.

But yes, some cars are fetching good money.

Also, do a search for 'auction results' - some cars have sold for big money there recently too.

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

I've noticed a steady rise in prices; They're an old car now, they were old when I got into them.

There's less of them, the mostly rough ones are either now fully restored, or chopped up for parts.

And because breaking and selling them via local groups in this connected world is much easier, people are far quicker to cut a car up, meaning they're thinner on the ground than ever before.

Old 28-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
Also, do a search for 'auction results' - some cars have sold for big money there recently too.
Glenmarch monitor auction sales worldwide . . .

https://glenmarch.com/cars/results/quick/Volkswagen/

You can click each model at the top and it will show specific models of cars . . .

e.g: https://glenmarch.com/cars/results/q...kswagen/Beetle

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Thanks guys, very helpful 👍
Old 28-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Hoosier
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Yeh, ive noticed they are doing well at the moment.
On a positive note, you should get decent money for work on your new house

Rich
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
GARRICK.CLARK
Wannabe Chat Slut

Any Aircooled VW that hasn't been welded AT ALL and has ALL its original panels/interior /colour etc is worth big money. The welded to death VW's will never be worth the same money.
Old 28-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
type3

Trading feedback: (10)

There’s a well known Cal-Looker up for sale at the moment for £20k. That’s top end for what it is as it has a huge spec.

As ever depends on exactly what it is, KDF, Split, Oval, early ‘60’s, late ‘60’s, early ‘70’s, Brazilian bugs... all have their price points and none are cheap for a good example anymore.

It’s a bit eye opening when you see buggies up for £15k...!
type3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #9
type3

Trading feedback: (10)

Solid example for you. Silverstone Auction the other week. Original ‘70 bug went for £10k.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...-february-2020
type3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

To Garrick.Clarke’s point I get that original ‘time warp’ cars will fetch big money due to their rarity. I’m perhaps more interested in the run-o-the-mill beetles which, like mine, will have been through various hands, probably been restored at least once in their 50 year life, and will carry a few welding scars and the odd bit of filler. As was mentioned earlier in the thread the general standard of cars remaining on the road is probably progressing upwards as the rough ones become donors for the gooduns, but the majority of cars around I’m sure are similar to mine...
Reply Post New Thread