Non-VW stalling problems - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 14-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Non-VW stalling problems

Afternoon all! Hoping the lovely clever folk of VZi-land can help me with a problem that has left me scratching my head

Yes I know I could post this in the manufacturers specific forum but I'd rather not necessarily be part of that crowd and hopefully it is not a model specific problem.

So the story is my mum has owned a MK1 '93 Ford Mondeo from almost new, I think her father purchased it for her as a birthday present in '95 but that is mostly irrelevant, save for the fact it is part of the family and has a lot of sentimental value with my grandad no longer being here. In it's lifetime my dad and I have spent many hours working on it, keeping it on the road every year with a couple hundred spent each year on MOT parts etc - it eats lower ball joints, water pumps and outer CV's, problem with aftermarket parts. In fact it is pretty much were I cut my teeth working on cars and brought my dad and I closer together.

Fast forward to last year, engine is on 131k miles and the HG fails. Head stripped off and get it sent for a skim, once returned a refitted she must have done about 30miles before we got the same problem, I thought surely it isn't the HG again...wrong, it WAS the HG. Contacted the garage and they said they couldn't take any more material off because of how bad it was, they must not have pressure checked it so we were left with 2 options; scrap it, or save it. With the aforementioned history we opted to fine a running donor and do an engine swap, MK1 2.0 Mondeos are hard to come by these days. We found one over in Oxford, towed it back as a pre-caution and not technically legal but got it on the road once back and used it so we knew it was a good engine. Obviously we had the whole pandemic and social distancing/shops closed fiasco and I was still working we didn't get around to doing the swap however I did this, along with my dad's help a few weeks ago. I took it for a test drive and apart from having to adjust the gear shift it seemed ok. Donor engine has 91k miles

Then the problems started...running lumpy and misfiring "kangarooing" is the term I believe my mum liked to use , I put this down to bad fuel, as it had been sat for 10 months or so, especially as the plugs, leads and coil were all fine from before. It had just over 1/4 tank but put some redex in and some of BPs finiest E5 but that didn't cure the problem, in fact it seemingly got worse. The car wouldn't start after this and eventually through swapping leads and other things, pouring some fuel into cyl 1 it fired into life, I limped it home with the same lumpy problems, having stalled a couple of times but managed to start.

The next big problem is she is burning oil - I've put this down currently to my brother putting too much in when he serviced it, I drained 1.5ltr out last night. With the problem not seemingly fixed by some fresh (mixed) fuel I bought all new plugs, leads and coil pack, fitted them last night and it hasn't solved the lumpy, stalling problem. I had to leave the car parked 2 roads over as I couldn't get it started, and when I finally did as soon as I tried to move, ie under load, she'd want to stall. It is fine on idle, but stalls whenever you put it in gear and move - I couldn't even move 1ft forward, had to roll it back into a vacant space!

So next on the list is the crank and/or cam sensor. I am reluctant to assume it is fuel related as it idles ok and the problem gets worse as it gets warm. I will check the fuel pumps and the filter - the filter was replaced last year but it was clean even after 26 years of use. I'm beginning to lose hope as I'm running out of ideas. The vac pipes all seem ok, albeit I think 1 might be in the wrong place as the donor had 1 purge valve attached to the pipes, whereas originally there were 2 so I reconnected a pipe possibly incorrectly.

TD:LR Man wants to save mum's classic beloved Mondeo which has a stalling problem.

I'm hoping the good people here can offer some useful advice, even if it is something I might have overlooked, happy to be called an idiot for something simple!

Last edited by eugopnosaj; 14-10-2020 at 05:00 PM..
eugopnosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
Hoosier
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Did you use the correct 5w30 oil?
ANY other grade causes these problems.
Ive seen it 1st hand.

Messes with the hydraulic lifters and causes compression loss. Ala missfiring on some/all cylinders.
Hoosier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

The oil put in would have most likely been 10w30 (or possibly 10w40) which is what has always been put in this mondeo, albeit the now defunct engine. I didn't do it, my brother did but I can check to see what he put in.

Opie oils only recommends 10w40 The Haynes states range 5w50 to 10w30 but happy to try anything at this stage. I'd love if it was as simple as an oil change.
Old 14-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Hoosier
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

I didnt think they ran on anything else.

Also check for air leaks.

Im sure (it was a long time ago) there is a rubber hose, possibly crank breather that is under the exhaust manifold that used to split causing running issues.
Hard to see and quite hard to replace. But take a good look with a bright torch.

Rich
Hoosier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Bada Ben
I really must get out more

VZi Member Sponsor

/\ WHS /\
overfilling the oil could have caused the crankcase to pressurise, possibly blowing some seals and/or the breather hose.
Old 15-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Morning, the overfilling is I'm hoping likely the reason it is burning oil but with the engine not running right it is difficult to tell as yet whether any other damage has been caused. The stem seals can be accessed/checked from above by removing the cam cover (and subsequent cams etc) however I think I have found the cause of the misfire and stalling...

I picked up a new crank sensor yesterday with the intention of swapping it out last night, removed the heatshield from in front of the exhaust manifold to get better access, along with the air intake. Removed the sensor plug and was greeted with this!

The shielding is completely shot causing the cables to short. I chased this back about 1 1/2ft and it is still cracked and damaged to the point where I cannot remove the sleeving anymore as the loom splits further. I have now got to remove the entire engine loom and see how far back the damage goes and replace the cable - at the same time I can check for any other that might be damaged. Fingers crossed this is what is causing the problem and it hasn't created any further issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201014-WA0003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	283981  
Old 15-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
Bada Ben
I really must get out more

VZi Member Sponsor

Good Find ! Before stripping the wiring loom, you could run temporary new wires from sensor to ECU, to make sure that is the cure.
Old 16-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

That sounds like a good idea, unfortunately the position of the ECU means it cannot easily be tested as it is in an awkward position.

I stripped it back yesterday and the damage is pretty much the entire length up to the ECU plug. the first 6 inches or so virtually all the insulation has perished, the rest of the way, probably about 6ft it is cracked and worn! Guess that is what I'm doing this evening, I suppose there isn't much else we're allowed to do these days anyway! I'd like to say it isn't the first loom I've done...had to strip out the loom from the Scooby to put into my Baja for EJ powered fun!