Got a slightly odd issue going on with my 1500 s/p Bug:
- Cold starting is perfect - immediately cranks into life and runs fine.
- Drive until the engine is hot - switch off and then the car will start fine immediately.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then the car is really reluctant to start - smells and feels like over-fuelling and it will eventually catch if cranked over long enough.
What I've tried:
- Check electric choke working correctly
- Check fuel pump working correctly
- Check fuel is clean, no debris in bowl
- Blow through all jets
- Check float/fuel level
- Check cut-off solenoid it moving
- Correct jets in carb
- Timing etc all correct
Carb is a genuine, refurbed Solex PICT and the car has previously had no issues, but has seen very little use over last 1-2 years.
I've set the fuel level in the bowl actually lower than spec - 15mm - as it just feels like its overfuelling, but it made no difference.
I'm thinking maybe faulty needle valve allowing the carb to over-fill when standing?
Any other ideas?