Volkszone Forum banner

Help! Sheared front gearbox carrier bolt.

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  andy198712 
#1 ·
Any help would greatly be appreciated. Whilst installing gearbox into refurb’d chassis, I’ve managed to shear the bolt that is welded into the chassis tube , that the front gearbox carrier mount attaches to.

Any advice on how I could rectify the problem. Can it be drilled out and replaced? Stuck now as can’t continue my chassis build until I can secure the gearbox mount fully.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Any help would greatly be appreciated. Whilst installing gearbox into refurb'd chassis, I've managed to shear the bolt that is welded into the chassis tube , that the front gearbox carrier mount attaches to.

Any advice on how I could rectify the problem. Can it be drilled out and replaced? Stuck now as can't continue my chassis build until I can secure the gearbox mount fully.

Thanks
from what i can see. Remove the g/box mount for easier access. Drill out the broken bolt too just under the thread size of the bolt. Then using an easy-out or similar torqbit try to remove
the broken stud. make sure you use plenty of lube wd40 etc.
Iftht fails drill to close to the size and retap the tread

#6 ·
The bolt is welded into the chassis, an Easy out won't work as there is no stud there to remove, it's not just threaded in.

#9 ·
Sorry, disagree, unless your torque wrench has been checked and calibrated recently, most torque wrenches are way out, even quality ones used in industry. I never trust them.

The only three values you need on a Bug are nipped, just tight enough and 'kin tight

#10 ·
hmmmm fair enough.

i have a halfords one, comes with a calibration certificate, i also check my regularly on calibrated machines at work and its always been spot on.....
i was pleasantly surprised.

i think what harms them is when people use them as breaker bars.

also quality ones used in industry should be regularly calibrated anyways.... and checked before each use. thats our policy at work....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.