Volkszone Forum banner

Sit together on airplane? Do you/would you pay?

5K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  phil5556 
#1 ·
We holiday abroad fairly frequently [four+ times a year] and find that if we check in online we avoid a lot of airport hassle as well as getting seated together.

We took a flight to spain this weekend and were allocated seat 7B and 12B with an option to select either of the A or C seats, which means we could have been seated together, but, would have to pay. [On the way home, I swapped seats with the man who was next to my wife, because I was allocated next to his wife :lol: ]

We chose not to pay and were amazed when we got on the plane at how many families had been split up - it was everyone we spoke to. We made the conclusion that it is now policy to separate families on purpose in the hope of manipulating extra funds.

So do you/would you pay extra for a standard seat?

#6 ·
Most often when I fly I am travelling on my own :(

Last time I flew with the kids, my (teenage) daughter was quite happy to sit nowhere near either myself or her younger brother :eek::lol::lol:

#9 ·
I would pay extra to sit away from crying babies.

I tend to book early and book a Starboard window (unless it's the double decker) I board early, hunker down and zone out with a pillow against the window. Usually asleep right through takeoff.

But when the screaming starts that grates me so much and I find it hard to settle.

#10 ·
That's why I have no plans to inflict my little ones crying on passengers...therefore until she was at least 2 I had no plans to do any travelling with her that involved aeroplanes, and don't really have any plans for air travel with her until I really have to ( orders of the wife) until she is old enough to behave / not cry.

#11 ·
I’m convinced they seat you apart deliberately. I upset my wife by not paying the extra for having seats together. It’s disgusting that even for a holiday costing upwards of £5k that two people cant sit together without paying extra, especially when booking the holiday early.

On the plus side we have driven the T5 to France, Spain and Portugal for our last few holidays rather than use planes!

#19 ·
We pay to sit together as young family. On our first flight with kids (getting married she was 3) we were dreading it even though she is well behaved, just in case she didn't like it and ended up crying the whole bloody flight and inconveniencing other passengers. We chose not to go before this age for that reason.

We set up an ipad with stuff on it, colouring books, pencils etc etc but she was good as gold. Been each year now with the 2nd who's 3 and eldest now 6 and each time they are fantastic.

#20 ·
We booked early and selected seats but weren't guaranteed but took the gamble. Wasn't bad as in a row ...ish. it's not so bad now cos the kids are old enough to fend for them selves and be entertained on the whole by the tvs. So basically it's a young family tax, and tax on people who like talking to their wife when they could have a few hours peace..... so I imagine not a very lucrative tax ultimately. :D

Maybe it was a male directors gift to most men :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.