Subaru beetle exhaust - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Subaru beetle exhaust

Ive made an exhaust for my beetle subaru using the down pipes from the subaru mated to a hidden beetle exhaust but it hangs down lower than I would like.

Does anyone know of anyone who makes exhausts for subaru bug conversions ?
atlas2l8v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
StuF
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Give Mike Hausmann of Vintage Volkshaus a shout - he made a perfect exhaust for our EJ25 powered bus that fits with a standard Westie towbar. Amazing craftsman and incredible welder

Weekend - 1970 Type 2 EJ25 Powered 5 Speed EarlyBay on BTR's
Fun - Silver Porsche 996 Turbo
Inclement - Silver Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
StuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Suhy
Chat Slapper

Have you tried a STI exhaust manifold?
Apparently, it's a very good fit.
Suhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

I just bought all the bits and did it myself, made it up using clamps etc to start and then marked it for welding.

Ive been extending it today actually as want it to exit the stock outlets but not had time to finish before bugjam. Doh.

Mocking up

Complete

Extending today
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhy View Post
Have you tried a STI exhaust manifold?
Apparently, it's a very good fit.
Ive made mine from the Ej25 manifolds, flexi and a beetle exhaust and it clears speed bumps just bloody noisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I just bought all the bits and did it myself, made it up using clamps etc to start and then marked it for welding.

Ive been extending it today actually as want it to exit the stock outlets but not had time to finish before bugjam. Doh.

Mocking up

Complete

Extending today
Looking good fella, ive made mine from a mixture of the EJ25 manifold and pipework with a beetle exhaust but its damned noisey.
Old 22-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
StuF
Seasoned Chat Slut

Thats one of the positives of my exhaust - its almost silent at idle, nice rasp on acceleration and cruising its quiet again. Drove 200 miles today back from wales and it was effortless on the motorway at 70 mph

Old 22-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuF View Post
Thats one of the positives of my exhaust - its almost silent at idle, nice rasp on acceleration and cruising its quiet again. Drove 200 miles today back from wales and it was effortless on the motorway at 70 mph
I therefore have exhaust envy Brilliant i will give him a shout i think.
Old 22-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
StuF
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas2l8v View Post
I therefore have exhaust envy Brilliant i will give him a shout i think.

Couple of pics of what Mike was able to make for me - however the backbox is where the magic happens and where the silencer action takes place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 22-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #9
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuF View Post
Couple of pics of what Mike was able to make for me - however the backbox is where the magic happens and where the silencer action takes place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats some nice work...Ive sent him a message. Cheers mate
Old 23-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

That looks a nice exhaust however I don't mean this as a criticism but if looking for maximum bhp it doesn't seem a very well gas flowed solution, much like an original bug box making the exhaust gas do an unmerged full 90 in there??
I'm no expert just saying what I'm seeing so possibly complete balls and he's the expert
I guess as mine is a turbo the ideal solution may be different as I just need the gas out easy as poss to minimal presume after the turbo. (And I know I'm turning mine 99 degrees but there are x2 3'' outlets!!). However merged bug headers are merged for a reason and the style like that are known for less performance advantages in the bug world are they not?
Maybe it's a toss-up between quiet and performance?
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread