Small Shop - Ideas? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZi Small Business Forum

VZi Small Business Forum Volkszone has many entrepreneurs, self-employed and those who run their own companies. Please use this forum to ask (and answer) any small business related questions - employment law, tax laws, insurance, marketing, council rates, etc. Please DO NOT use it to tout for business or to plug your own company (please use the Yellow Pages forum for this) - any blatant 'plug' posts will be deleted and the posters may be reprimanded further. This is the ONLY warning you will receive - the idea is to help each others' businesses, not to take advantage - so please play nice.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
SJC3101
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Lightbulb Small Shop - Ideas?

I'm looking for advice/tips/suggestions please.

My Dad ran his own shop for 30 years, he sold electrical spares (cable, switchgear etc.) and did repairs on vacuum cleaners, shavers, appliances. He was planning to retire and wanted to earn a small income from the premises but keep it as the same shop. Sadly he got diagnosed as having multiple brain tumours and he passed away at the end of 2012.

As soon as he was diagnosed, a guy he had known for years agreed to take on the shop and to pay a rent to my Mum. Rental issues aside (which I have been managing for her remotely), the guy hasn't put in the effort and basically has run the business into the ground, this is compounded by the 'death of the high street'.

Today, I have got a shop which is set-up to operate as an electrical shop (with some stock), it sits in a bit of a run-down area in a large town just outside Glasgow. With a number of other shops closed down nearby, I don't think that I'll be able to rent it out or sell it and I'm looking for any suggestions of what I can do with the shop.

I'm not looking to make a fortune here, the plan is that my Mum can get a regular modest income from the premises which are owned outright. I'll manage the rent for her remotely so don't really want to set something up that I need to employ someone to run.

I do have a few ideas that would involve an investment to fit out the shop but I'd be really grateful to hear any suggestions. Ideally, I am looking for insight into what does work nowadays in a retail environment. On the same road there are bookmakers, newsagent, couple of pubs, couple of chippies, about 5 hairdressers and a chemist.

Any advice would be greatly received
SJC3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
[steve]
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC3101 View Post
I'm looking for advice/tips/suggestions please.

My Dad ran his own shop for 30 years, he sold electrical spares (cable, switchgear etc.) and did repairs on vacuum cleaners, shavers, appliances. He was planning to retire and wanted to earn a small income from the premises but keep it as the same shop. Sadly he got diagnosed as having multiple brain tumours and he passed away at the end of 2012.

As soon as he was diagnosed, a guy he had known for years agreed to take on the shop and to pay a rent to my Mum. Rental issues aside (which I have been managing for her remotely), the guy hasn't put in the effort and basically has run the business into the ground, this is compounded by the 'death of the high street'.

Today, I have got a shop which is set-up to operate as an electrical shop (with some stock), it sits in a bit of a run-down area in a large town just outside Glasgow. With a number of other shops closed down nearby, I don't think that I'll be able to rent it out or sell it and I'm looking for any suggestions of what I can do with the shop.

I'm not looking to make a fortune here, the plan is that my Mum can get a regular modest income from the premises which are owned outright. I'll manage the rent for her remotely so don't really want to set something up that I need to employ someone to run.

I do have a few ideas that would involve an investment to fit out the shop but I'd be really grateful to hear any suggestions. Ideally, I am looking for insight into what does work nowadays in a retail environment. On the same road there are bookmakers, newsagent, couple of pubs, couple of chippies, about 5 hairdressers and a chemist.

Any advice would be greatly received
I've actually been thinking about setting up a small shop recently, but only 'started' to think about it.

I think this shop in Reading is amazing and appeals to a wide variety of people.

http://www.thegrumpygoat.co.uk/

Showcase local ales and cheeses etc... depends if you have any interest in that sort of thing, but I'd love to set up a similar shop to this near me as craft beers generally only get sold from the micro breweries that sell them, but this would give people a chance to buy a few all at once, rather than the same ones from a brewery, if that makes sense.

In know that the UK is saturated with micro breweries at the moment and craft beers/real ales are a big money maker at the moment...

Simple shop - Bookshelves etc and easy to manage stock.

Just my thoughts anyway

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[steve] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
SJC3101
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [steve] View Post
Thanks for the reply, very , it's not right for our location/clientele but in the right location I could see that really working well. I'll pay them a visit myself if I'm ever in the area

Old 26-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Funky Old Patina
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

It may be helpful to find out what business use classification the shop already is:

http://p4l.co.uk/guidtocomuse.html#note3

mainly because there are other types of business that may work well in the shop, that are in the same classification. The other businesses you mention in the list fall under several different classifications....

One type of business that falls outside of any classification is a taxi firm, which may work well where your shop is, and shouldn't need a change of use, plus is open 24/7 so good for security?

As it sounds like you don't want to be involved with the shop (fair enough) you need to be careful who you get in there - an already established business would be good.

Is there a possibility of turning it into residential? Do you own/have the freehold on the upper parts if applicable?

Old Cars Around Town website

Last edited by Funky Old Patina; 26-04-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Funky Old Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
SJC3101
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Old Patina View Post
It may be helpful to find out what business use classification the shop already is:

http://p4l.co.uk/guidtocomuse.html#note3

mainly because there are other types of business that may work well in the shop, that are in the same classification. The other businesses you mention in the list fall under several different classifications....

One type of business that falls outside of any classification is a taxi firm, which may work well where your shop is, and shouldn't need a change of use, plus is open 24/7 so good for security?

As it sounds like you don't want to be involved with the shop (fair enough) you need to be careful who you get in there - an already established business would be good.

Is there a possibility of turning it into residential? Do you own/have the freehold on the upper parts if applicable?
Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look into the classification, that hadn't occurred to me. I'm also going to contact the council for a chat about the local area and whether there are even any grants around for a refit that might make it more attractive to a prospective tenant.

One of my current thoughts are getting it re-fitted as a tattoo (+ removal) & piercings shop and getting a tenant or manager in. There's a market for it and it'd take limited fixtures & fittings. My other plan involves talking to other tenants around the area and just under-cutting their current rentals

The residential aspect is out, there are already flats above it and the premises are too small for a residence although I am also going to talk to the owner of the pub next door and see whether they might be interested in extending to make a lounge or even more storage.

I'll keep on thinking but I appreciate the help.
Old 28-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Phil69

Coffee shop?
Old 29-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
DaveyP2004
Chat Slapper

Default Shop

Not sure how long it will last as Government legislation may eventually kick in but certainly for the foreseeable future an electronic cigarette store would probably do well in the area you describe. They don't just sell the e-cigarettes but also the refill cartridges.
Cheers,
Dave
DaveyP2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Coo
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

My mates opening up a cafe in central scotland, with grants and things it's costing them very little indeed....less than a couple of grand.

Everyone loves a roll and sausge and a tea !
Old 29-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
SJC3101
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil69 View Post
Coffee shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coo View Post
My mates opening up a cafe in central scotland, with grants and things it's costing them very little indeed....less than a couple of grand.

Everyone loves a roll and sausge and a tea !
Thanks guys, there was a cafe on the street but it closed down. Could be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyP2004 View Post
Not sure how long it will last as Government legislation may eventually kick in but certainly for the foreseeable future an electronic cigarette store would probably do well in the area you describe. They don't just sell the e-cigarettes but also the refill cartridges.
Cheers,
Dave
Love it! I think it is perfect for the area as well TBH and there is nothing like that around as far as I am aware. I spotted something about franchise opportunities on one of the sites when I was looking for an e-cig for myself so this could be a great option.

I'm really grateful for everyone's advice. I was in 2 minds about posting this but I'm really glad I did
Old 30-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
Funky Old Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil69 View Post
Coffee shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC3101 View Post
Thanks guys, there was a cafe on the street but it closed down. Could be a good option.
You would almost certainly need a change of classification to do this. Not to say it's impossible, but it would cost you some money, and time going through the motions to get it done properly (council-wise).

Plus fit-out costs etc. etc.

The fact one closed down on the street could mean it would be doomed from the start if you did go down this route?

I do like the idea of the e-cigs + associated shop, wouldn't cost much to set that one up.

BUT, who is going to run it? Taking on staff could be a whole hassle you just don't need.

Old Cars Around Town website
Funky Old Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread