Time to get off my arse.. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZi Small Business Forum

VZi Small Business Forum Volkszone has many entrepreneurs, self-employed and those who run their own companies. Please use this forum to ask (and answer) any small business related questions - employment law, tax laws, insurance, marketing, council rates, etc. Please DO NOT use it to tout for business or to plug your own company (please use the Yellow Pages forum for this) - any blatant 'plug' posts will be deleted and the posters may be reprimanded further. This is the ONLY warning you will receive - the idea is to help each others' businesses, not to take advantage - so please play nice.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
alrohdich
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Time to get off my arse..

And start putting the gears in motion..

Plan: to open my own auction house at home, progressing to an auction house/antique centre.

Starting this weekend I am going to enrol to do whatever qualifications I need to become an official auctioneer.
I have worked in an auction house for 18 months, and although I love it, I don't feel like I'm progressing as fast as id like. I think I'm getting stuck with all the donkey work and not getting enough out of it.
The plan will be made so that I can move home in a couple if years & have my first auction a month after.

I will be looking at holding the auction in a rented building, 4 days per month, 1 auction every 2 months, with 1000 lots minimum per auction, minimum lot value 40-50.
It will be a one man operation for the first few auctions, with friends & family helping out on the 4 days of each auction.
I might also look into the government apprentice scheme, has anybody any experience with this?

I fully think I can do it, there are 2 auction houses within a 30 mile radius, but they are a bit crap, neither are online, they don't catalogue properly, or photograph lots, put estimates on each lot & none of them are online.

I'm going to start a business plan tonight, of anybody has any advice or links to check out please point me in the right direction..

I'm 27 & want to get this show on the road

Karmann Ghia - 1969 Rhd

www.northcoastauctionrooms.com
alrohdich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
mcj731
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Sounds a very good idea, tho I cant get me head around the way you have explained the times etc of the auctions. I live nearby and think the area is fantastic for this.
mcj731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
alrohdich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj731 View Post
Sounds a very good idea, tho I cant get me head around the way you have explained the times etc of the auctions. I live nearby and think the area is fantastic for this.
Nearby where? Portrush?

The times? Do you mean the 4 days a week per auction every 2 months?

If so, this is purely to start with, as it will only be me as a full time member of staff. The four days will be 2 days viewing (for arguments sake, Wednesday & Thursday), then 2 days of Auction, (say, Friday & Saturday).

The Plan would be to increase this to an auction every month.
This would allow me to do a high quality catalogues with photographs for every lot, and will also give me time to package & ship items that have been sold after each auction, a service that no auction house local to me provides.

Karmann Ghia - 1969 Rhd

Old 21-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
mcj731
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

this is the bit I didn't understand but I do now.
"I will be looking at holding the auction in a rented building, 4 days per month, 1 auction every 2 months".
If your working at one now and there making money there is no reason why yours wouldn't! As long as people know you exist, which to me is your main problem. I work for myself, tho sometimes I wish I didn't.lol forgot to say im from Haslington
mcj731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
alrohdich

I have been doing my plan pretty much every night, I am about 25% of the way through it at the minute, thanks to all who have helped me so far

It's tough work, but if it was easy everybody would be doing it
Old 29-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Funky Old Patina
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

I used to go to a few 'household items' auctions and they always followed a similar vein: the guy who ran the auction hired a building for 1-2 days a week (eg. a large scout hut with good parking) - first thing Wednesday the sellers turned up with their tat and the auction was from 6pm on Wed evening - they had until midday the next day to get shot of everything and clean up. I even looked into buildings/areas that were suitable but unless you have some reliable hired help it can be a nightmare imho.

Old Cars Around Town website
Funky Old Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
alrohdich

In the place I work at the minute there are 5-6 people who work on auction day.

Auctioneer + 1 (who runs the Internet bidding)
1-2 office workers to take payments & do phone bids
1 person to pick lots for people.

When the auction finishes everybody helps pick buyers lots.

Then, for 2 days after, it's back to the normal 3-4 staff, taking payments & shipping.

I have a few reliable friends/family that I know will be perfect for this, so staff for the first year or 2 shouldn't be a problem, even if it's only for auction times
Old 14-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
alrohdich

Back on track with this

I have my business plan on paper, just starting to put it onto the computer & then get the first 'proper' draft sorted!

I still have to get my market research sorted though, but I can't think of what questions to put on my questionnaire

I want to fire up a website soon though, nothing fancy, just something with like a front page (Mainly just my logo), with 'Coming soon' etc. Maybe an email address to go with it so that I can respond to enquiries? Any ideas as to how I would go about doing this?

Karmann Ghia - 1969 Rhd

Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
lilblue1970
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default Website

I use wix.com for building my website. It's free and really easy to use. Then link it to your facebook page. All the instructions are there and simple to follow. You'll be surprised how quickly you can create a professional looking website. As you grow you can easily upgrade. Good luck.
lilblue1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
alrohdich

Small update since I started this thread..

I'm now 28, quit my job last month, have been hammering my business plan since then.. It's a slow slog, but I think I'm getting there

I have my logo designed, website designed (but not made yet), domain names sorted, have met with the local business start up group, started buying bits of equipment that I will need, started to look at some suitable buildings for when I get started, decided on what dates everything is going to happen (moving home in November, first auction in March, then June, September & December, with 1200-1500 minimum lots in each auction sold over 3 days.
I have had some amazing advice off local business people, especially an amazing antique dealer who used to do auctions with her husband before he died, she said people are always in asking about decent auction houses in the area to buy & sell, but there are none!

I am so much happier now that I am finished with my old employers, and they have taught me a very important lesson about how to treat staff..

Karmann Ghia - 1969 Rhd

Reply Post New Thread