Stupid tyre size question - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDad View Post
Without going back into the showroom and having another look, what I am basically trying to find out is how much taller in inches is the sidewall of the tyre, actual tyre showing from the wheel to the tread.
The tyres which come with the car are 40 but the lesser model comes with 55, so Im looking for more ground clearance.
so how much taller are the two tyres compared to each other.. Just as sake of argument, one is 12" high the other 15"

I think its easier to just pop back to the dealer and have a butchers
The calculated diameters are 712mm for the 255 and 716mm for the 235, so the ride height will, theoretically, be 2mm higher with 235/55 x 18 tyres, or, to put it even more concisely, bugger all. Sidewall heights are 102mm and 129mm respectively. Ride comfort is likely to be better with the more narrow, higher profile tyres.

Cheers, Carl.

PS. Personally, I think anything bigger than 17" wheels on a family car look quite ridiculous. Just saying.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
Stu_b
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

www.willtheyfit.com is another great comparison tool and lets you play around with offset changes too.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
FunkyDad
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebank View Post
The calculated diameters are 712mm for the 255 and 716mm for the 235, so the ride height will, theoretically, be 2mm higher with 235/55 x 18 tyres, or, to put it even more concisely, bugger all. Sidewall heights are 102mm and 129mm respectively. Ride comfort is likely to be better with the more narrow, higher profile tyres.

Cheers, Carl.

PS. Personally, I think anything bigger than 17" wheels on a family car look quite ridiculous. Just saying.
Bugger off
FunkyDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
schmeil1
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:

Cheers, Carl.

It's an SUV

As far as the overall 'look' is concerned, it will also depend how much the tyre fills the wheel well

Still not driving my Buggy (though now taxed), but my 1302 is taxed and fixed but now has an oil line problem and my Tiguan is now 4 years old and has done over 106,666 miles
schmeil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
Beetlebank

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeil1 View Post
It's an SUV
Even more reason to have tall, pothole-absorbing springy sidewalls. All depends if you believe that Form Follows Function or simply prefer fashion at the expense of practicality.

Realistically though, with a modern vehicle, the only thing you will probably notice (except the looks) will be the price of the tyres when you come to replace them - go with your gut feeling, what looks best to you, and enjoy your new car.

Cheers, Carl.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
Beetlebank

Quote:
Bugger off
Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #17
schmeil1
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Without going back into the showroom and having another look, what I am basically trying to find out is how much taller in inches is the sidewall of the tyre, actual tyre showing from the wheel to the tread.
The tyres which come with the car are 40 but the lesser model comes with 55, so Im looking for more ground clearance.
so how much taller are the two tyres compared to each other.. Just as sake of argument, one is 12" high the other 15"

I think its easier to just pop back to the dealer and have a butchers
Steve, all the dimensions were on the image on my first post

The two tyres are basically the same height: 20 is 28'' and 18 is 28.2'', and the sidewall on the the 18 is 1.1'' taller (5.1'' vs. 4'' )

18 is 0.7'' narrower than the 20

Still not driving my Buggy (though now taxed), but my 1302 is taxed and fixed but now has an oil line problem and my Tiguan is now 4 years old and has done over 106,666 miles
Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
schmeil1
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Even more reason to have tall, pothole-absorbing springy sidewalls. All depends if you believe that Form Follows Function or simply prefer fashion at the expense of practicality.

Realistically though, with a modern vehicle, the only thing you will probably notice (except the looks) will be the price of the tyres when you come to replace them - go with your gut feeling, what looks best to you, and enjoy your new car.

Cheers, Carl.
Thanks

FunkyDad and I both have new Tiguans on the way

Old 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
FunkyDad

Quote:
Thanks

FunkyDad and I both have new Tiguans on the way
Yes but you will get yours before me
Old 09-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #20
FunkyDad

Quote:
Steve, all the dimensions were on the image on my first post

The two tyres are basically the same height: 20 is 28'' and 18 is 28.2'', and the sidewall on the the 18 is 1.1'' taller (5.1'' vs. 4'' )

18 is 0.7'' narrower than the 20

you follow what Im after....
I want as much rubber sidewall between the road surface and the wheel to help stop as much kirbing as possible...also to help stop a buckle from a pothole...there is that
our QQ is 215/60/R17
Reply Post New Thread