wheel advice - JK smooth steel wheels v polished Cookie Cutters - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 26-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
disasterbus
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default wheel advice - JK smooth steel wheels v polished Cookie Cutters

I'm thinking of changing the wheels on my buggy...........

It currently sits on polished Porsche Cookie Cutters but I've always liked the traditional look of banded steels with hubcaps (like I had on my first buggy 30 years ago!).

I'm not keen on buying an old set of banded wheels which could have been done 40 years ago to very dubious standards, but saw on the Just Kampers website that they do smooth style beetle wheels in 6", 8" and 10" wide flavours.

Does anyone have any experience of these - quality etc? I'm thinking 8" wide on the back and 6" wide on the front.
Hoping to use my original rear tyres which I think are 225's from memory (will check). I'm guessing 185's for the 6" wide fronts? My existing front ones are old so will need replacing before next summer anyway.

Any advice welcome. Thanks!
disasterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
buggypete
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

forget banded wheels go for re rimmed steels,vw centres will fit in most vw/audi steels and for the rears i use either 7x15 isuzu trooper or custom and comercial 8x15
buggypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Stu_b
Seasoned Chat Slut

I've not heard anything bad about the JK wheels. Built from scratch to suit, so no dodgy offsets, like you get on banded steels (not so much of an issue on a buggy though)

Old 12-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Clem
Help! I'm trapped in here

I fancied a set of these for my bus but the website says they must be run with inner tubes - which make them unsuitable for lo pro tyres as used on lowered vehicles.
Old 17-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Personally I like the polished Cookie Cutters.

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread