new vw business in leicester - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZi Small Business Forum

VZi Small Business Forum Volkszone has many entrepreneurs, self-employed and those who run their own companies. Please use this forum to ask (and answer) any small business related questions - employment law, tax laws, insurance, marketing, council rates, etc. Please DO NOT use it to tout for business or to plug your own company (please use the Yellow Pages forum for this) - any blatant 'plug' posts will be deleted and the posters may be reprimanded further. This is the ONLY warning you will receive - the idea is to help each others' businesses, not to take advantage - so please play nice.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
stocksy77
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default new vw business in leicester

Hi im looking to start a vw restoration company in leicester offering welding painting .engine bodywork and upholstery. Im just at business plan and funding stage at the minute. Im after some advice / help please to see if I plausibly do this this isnt an ad to drum up work just a message to see if people would use my business . I have 18 years experience in the problems vw cause with me having numerous vans beetles and buggies .. I hear fuchs lee is good for insurance so will be contacted him very soon .
Any advice /feedback/ help would be much appreciated.
Cheers mark
stocksy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
andycoco
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (9)

Good luck fella !!

http://vwcoco.webs.com/-Check my website out and join up with plenty of bugs 4sale:D
Mrs set up facebook page -ANDREW COLE
andycoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
CheekyMonkey

Trading feedback: (1)

I am miles away, so wouldn't be a customer anyway, but one thing struck me -

"welding painting .engine bodywork and upholstery"

that sounds like an awfully wide field of work, I think I would be wondering how an amateur albeit a longstanding owner can be any good at all of that ....

I wonder whether there is a credibility hurdle for you to overcome ?
CheekyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
stocksy77
Wannabe Chat Slut

I am a qualified welder and car body repairer . I have be painting stuff for years anc never had any complaints and I also used to work for noble building supercars where I learnt to do upholstery. I have done a few beetle seats for people on here .so I am actually a professional and have vw experiance for 18 years.
cheers
mark
Old 17-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
flat4fanatic

Trading feedback: (8)

If you're working at the mo, start saving if you can. There's lots of competition about but if your work and prices are good, word will get around. Be prepared for long hours, often 7 days a week, customers who don't pay on time or at all, space to store their vehicles so they're not in the way of those that are paying etc, having the to buy panels etc up front, plus rates and rent before any profit comes. That's not meant to put you off - I've got a few mates who have made a couple of very successful businesses from it but they put an awful lot of time into it (a lot of living to work, especially early on).
flat4fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
stocksy77
Wannabe Chat Slut

Cheers flat4fanatic lol yeah I was kinda thinking I would not be getting much time off but hopefully will be worth it .
Old 18-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
iannorton
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Mark (stocksy) did a fantastic job of re-upholstering and refurbishing my 77-79 seats in my bug about a year ago, I'll try and add a few pictures later.

Looking at getting some doors painted, so let me know if you're setting up I'd be interested.

Might be worth doing a Facebook page with your previous work on so people can see the quality of it.
iannorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
flat4fanatic

Trading feedback: (8)

It's definitely got its advantages and you get a lot of job satisfaction from it. Do you do mobile trimming? Got a mate near Hinckley who needs a few vans trimming urgently
flat4fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
stocksy77
Wannabe Chat Slut

Hi ian I may be able to do them at my dads cus I have just brought another motor for my big compressor so hopefully can get that working next week. .
I do have a fb page with a few bits on. Search for *m. arks automotive upholstery* I have even stretched to making furniture. My wifes dwarf friend wants me to make her a chair she can actually fit on lol.
Old 18-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
stocksy77
Wannabe Chat Slut

Thumbs up

Hi flat4fanatic at the moment I dont have anywhere to trim because I just moved house. No extra room / shed or garage . But I know a trimmer in hinckley I used to work with at noble ,he taught me. But I dont havr his number anymore. But he has about 4 or 5 honda crx s on his drive . U can see then as u drive towards town centre from leicester side .
his name is dave kyle . Failing that I will see if I can get his new number from someone .. .
If all that fails I will pop over and have a look them maybe bring cushions back and try to set up in my kitchen or something..

so get him to try dave first if he knows the place I mean if not drop me a message and I will go over.
cheers mark
Reply Post New Thread