Volkszone Forum banner

Hive mind of VZi: How can I make this shed warmer

2K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr Slug 
#1 ·
I rent this lockup as a workshop/storage for my splitty. I'm thinking that if I can somehow make it warmer, I can continue working on the splitty over winter. Any bright ideas, please?

I'm planning on borrowing a space heater once the weather turns cold but I'm not looking forward to the fumes!

The building is 6m x 7m, clad with tongue and groove with a corrugated roof.

One other thing, after moderate rain about 1m of floor just inside folding doors gets wet - is there an easy fix for that?

See less See more
#2 ·
Your biggest enemy is that roof.

2mm metal with a constant cold breeze will literally act as a heat sink for what little warmth is inside and suck it out.

It is entirely possible for a building like that to be much colder inside than out, so obviously that is the most important area to insulate.

If it is too difficult to fit insulation to the pitched roof, them why not consider laying it on the ceiling joists - not only will it keep the heat closer to you, but it will mean you need a lot less.

Choose a rigid fire retardant board.

If that is too expensive, then screw up some ply to the underside, and stuff the loft with rock wool.

#5 ·
Choose a rigid fire retardant board.
Thanks Mr Slug.

I'm looking at something like QUINN THERM PIR INSULATION BOARD - 2400 X 1200MM. Would I likely notice much difference going with the (much) cheaper 20mm as opposed to 50mm?

If you are renting it, do you really want to be spending time and money improving somebody else's property? I appreciate that it might be cold, and it looks like there is zero insulation in it, but a heat source that you can take with you would be favourite imho.
I'm very mindful it's rented. The thing is, it gets so cold in that lockup that I probably won't want to be in there mid November - February (ish) without making it warmer. Within reason, I'm happy to spend a bit of money to get more use out of the building and keep my resto project moving forwards.

You mentioned heat source, what would you suggest? I have the use of a space heater, not sure how many kW/BTu/h though.

#3 ·
If you are renting it, do you really want to be spending time and money improving somebody else’s property? I appreciate that it might be cold, and it looks like there is zero insulation in it, but a heat source that you can take with you would be favourite imho.

#4 ·
One other thing, after moderate rain about 1m of floor just inside folding doors gets wet - is there an easy fix for that?
I have a wooden garage here - with temperature changes, the gap(s) below the doors alter - I stapled plastic/PVC 'roof flashing' along the bottom of each door, so it curves onto the floor. It keeps water out, without affecting the door(s) opening and closing.

:)

#6 ·
Brilliant idea, I might just try that - thanks!

From looking at my own photos I've just noticed a gully in the concrete outside the doors. I'm wondering whether that's full of shit (probably) causing the water to pool outside during a downpour. Something I'll check tomorrow.

#9 ·
Hows about a large frame and tarp set up round your vehicle with heating whilst your there?
So you only need warm up the work space you are using rather than the whole barn.
Using large clear sheeting for letting the light in.

Jealous of your work space by the way.:)

#19 ·
I'm sure there was a thread on here a few years back with homemade oil burners using waste oil.
I think there was a photo of a burner that had been fashioned into a Minion or similar.

At a previous work, the fitters had made one out of a large gas cylinder for workshop. It used very little oil and once the cylinder got hot, gave out a decent amount of heat. IIRC, it was quite smoky until it got going.

#20 ·
I think that waste oil burners are illegal in most of the U.K. these days.

Even if they are not actually illegal, they should be - and are about as environmentally friendly as those propane pavement heaters they have outside pubs and cafes.

I usually adopt a ‘don’t give a fuck attitude’ to most things, but I couldn’t bring myself to burn that filthy old crankcase oil.

#21 ·
Just found this on the interweb -

Current law

Regulation changes made in 2016 mean it is now illegal to burn waste oil in a SWOB unless a permit is obtained under Schedule 13A of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 at a cost of £3218 for the application and annual an fee of £1,384.

The change followed an amendment to bring SWOBs within wider waste incineration legislation designed to reduce the emission of air pollutants.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm looking at those red Chinese RV (12v) diesel heaters which Mr. Orange and GlenAnderson kindly linked. Their output is 5kW and I was wondering if two would be enough to heat 30m2 (with roughly 2.5 ceiling height).

This website ("How big a heater do I need for my workshop") says:
We can estimate that a square foot of room will require 10 watts, since a square metre foot is equal to 0.09 square meters, each square metre will require 111 watts.
So, 111W per m2 means I need 3.3kW. Does this seem about right to those in the know? It doesn't seem enough to me but I don't know what I'm really basing that on.

If that's about right then I think two heaters, spaced apart for heat distribution, might work.

#24 ·
I'm looking at those red Chinese RV (12v) diesel heaters which Mr. Orange and GlenAnderson kindly linked. Their output is 5kW and I was wondering if two would be enough to heat 30m2 (with roughly 2.5 ceiling height).

This website ("How big a heater do I need for my workshop") says:

So, 111W per m2 means I need 3.3kW. Does this seem about right to those in the know? It doesn't seem enough to me but I don't know what I'm really basing that on.

If that's about right then I think two heaters, spaced apart for heat distribution, might work.
Do you mean cubic metre?

#29 ·
I’ve got a 2kw one to fit in my Land-Rover this winter sometime. I think a single 5kw one would be enough for your garage, but in all honesty it’s probably worth just trying it out first. You can always buy a second later on. If you’re on Facebook then search “Chinese diesel heater” on there. There’s a group with help and advice on fault finding them. Most people seem to have no problems with them. The bulk of the issues being down to transit damage, poor installation or incredibly low owner IQ.

#30 ·
I've got a 2kw one to fit in my Land-Rover this winter sometime. I think a single 5kw one would be enough for your garage, but in all honesty it's probably worth just trying it out first. You can always buy a second later on. If you're on Facebook then search "Chinese diesel heater" on there. There's a group with help and advice on fault finding them. Most people seem to have no problems with them. The bulk of the issues being down to transit damage, poor installation or
. incredibly low owner IQ.
:lol:

I have often thought that should be an MOT failure too :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.