the13thduke's 81 Mexibug - Page 13 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum sponsored by VW Heritage

VW Heritage
Reply Post New Thread

Old 20-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #121
the13thduke
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smull View Post
What's scary is how much work was needed on a bug as honest and as straight as yours.
It depends on your definition of 'need' I suppose. For example, one of the first pieces of work completed was checking a previous repair to the washer bottle area. The repair was metal, has been okay for 20-ish years and is generally out of sight.

Tempting to leave it be, right? Wrong! It certainly redefined my idea of 'need' and provided an indication of the standards they'd be working to for the rest of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedweeb View Post
I can't wait to see this one finished - it's being done properly, that's for sure.
Correction: metalwork and paint is being done properly, it'll all go downhill when it comes back into my custody /

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedweeb View Post
I'm getting very worried what state Britney is in when I get round to splitting the body and pan
Here's hoping for good news, fella
the13thduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #122
the13thduke
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Mexibug will soon be heading home for me to complete, having required far more personal sacrifice than anticipated - but some of that is a story for another time/place. Remember kids that the first rule of Project Club is not to have any kind of plan because old cars have no respect for them! Retro Restoration have been doing their thing and I'm pleased with how the car is shaping up:

One unplanned adventure was trying to find NOS doors - hours of calls, many false leads plus some comedy prices. Eventually the legwork paid off and a road trip to (what felt like) The End Of The Earth yielded beige/grey Mexican treasure. Having been rescued from a long slumber in someone's shed they smuggled the biggest spider I've ever seen into my daily, which took weeks to flush out.

I've been busy making the garage a brighter and more usable small space, have also put in hours cleaning, painting and sourcing parts because you can't just go nailing tatty old bits to a fresh pan and shell can you? Right now am doing my best to refresh and tidy up the motor, this will need to be installed fairly quickly to free up working space. I'll try to keep this thread updated a little more regularly once the car is back in my thoroughly talentless grasp.

the13thduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #123
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (25)

Ace work. Exciting times ahead

https://www.facebook.com/fatpugcreative/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twon View Post
No man is an island. Except Barry. Barry Island is an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happystamps View Post
Not wanting to be a cunt, and I know it's a quote, but...

Barry Island is a peninsula.
smull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread