Brakes Wide 5 studs - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Wide 5 studs

I have 72 Beetle rear brakes but I am swapping over to wide 5 wheels so will swap the drums to wide 5 drums. I have a disc set for the front which has wheel studs rather than bolts so to keep everything the same would like to go studs on the rears. I am not sure about the screw in studs from a safety perspective, happy to be told I am worrying too much, so was looking at the press in type which have a ‘head’ that stops them being pulled through.

Any experience of doing this and anything I need to be aware of, clearance issues maybe??

Thanks

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuchs915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
M.I.B
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

You can use the "press in" studs with a head but make sure the head isn't going to be so thick as it fouls the levers and shoes inside the drum.

An alternative is to use screw in studs. I have done this in the past to bugs. Late bugs are M14 x 1.5 I put a grinder nick in the back face of the drum across each stud hole. Once the stud was wound in almost flush with the inside of the drum I set the MIG to 11 and gave each nick and stud base a weld. Never had a stud work loose.

Did the same on Bay rears when I put longer studding on to fit 5 spoke Revolutions. My bay crew did some hard work and some heavy towing on those drums and rims and never had an issue.

Indian Scout 101ci

Originally Posted by mr slug:

"Best bike on the thread IMO, outright winner"

The Runaway Boy
M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
psimitar
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

You will have to buy 4 to wide 5 drums as 4 stud drums use 40mm wide shoes and the wide 5 use 30mm wide shoes plus larger bore cylinders.

With teh wide 5 the diameter is right over the shoe retaining spring but should miss the handbrake bar. It would literally be a case of trying and seeing how much clearance you have as I've known aftermarket wheel bolts be too long and foul the drums internals.

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread