Engine I hear you knocking... - Page 4 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #31
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Yes it really is about half a centimetre!

So spent yesterday doing this
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568 copy 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	263937

No immediate/obvious damage seen (no real oil leak or metal shavings)

Name:	IMG_0559 copy 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	263941

Name:	IMG_0563 copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	263943

Was thinking maybe the crankshaft needle bearing behind the flywheel gland nut was knackered (explaining the massive end float?). The dowel pins look tight fitting to me, but I have not managed to get the flywheel nut off yet, Fecking hell that torque is insane?

Name:	IMG_0565 copy 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	263939

Am I speaking rubbish or could this (or end float shims) be the source of the excessive play? Anything else I should investigate whilst the engine is out? Any tips on getting that nut off? who framed roger rabbit? who shot Mr Burns...

Thanks dudes
thebiglebowski0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #32
psimitar
Help! I'm trapped in here

Nut off = length of 5mm or greater angle iron drilled to use 2 clutch bolts to clamp it to the flywheel in the opposing direction to the socket breaker bar for the gland nut. Or a flywheel locking tool but the engine will still need steadies bolted to it to stop it trying to roll over as the gland nut is at 217lbft or more.
If you have a good quality air impact gun then this can sometimes be enough. Oh, and a length of scaffold pole for extra breaker bar leverage and the braker bar needs to be 3/4" as the 1/2" have been known to shear.

5mm is way too much and the shims come nowhere close to closing up such a large clearance. Even the thrust sholder of the bearing isn't 5mm thick.

Until the flywheel is off we won't know any more but it's not looking good

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #33
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Cheers dude, will post up some pics when I get behind it!
thebiglebowski0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #34
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Not sure why you want to remove the flywheel
Should now be evident how much end you have if it's as large as you say then will be visible flywheel movement
Most of my cars have had endfloat it's not good but I just drove them worst I had was about 4mm and as you say would clunk biggest problem was oil pressure anything over 10 miles would loose enough for the idiot light to come on I would stretch the spring to increase the pressure thicker oil etc just to keep it going!
I am going back twenty years and you could pick up engine's relatively cheap so that's what I done !
If it was me I would put it back in use it gently and find a better engine
Also not sure if it's the picture but nut looks as though it's damaged possibly hit with a chisel to loosen
May just be my eyes though
Just my opinion and what I've done in the past

Last edited by skip*rat; 22-05-2019 at 12:57 PM..
skip*rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #35
Zed999
Wannabe Chat Slut

Life was so much easier when you could buy a turnkey gamble engine on ebay for 50. The one I bought 20 years ago was top notch, just the distributor advance was stuck and the owner too thick to work out why it didn't go properly. Happy days!
Zed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread