Volkszone Forum banner

can't bleed brakes on my mk4 Golf

Brakes 
5K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  adman020 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I can't bleed the brakes on my mk4 Golf (2001 1.6 16V)!!

I replaced both rear pads and discs on the rear as just bought the car and failed MOT due to imbalanced brakes on rear axle.

I bled the brakes by doing it the old fashioned way making sure the master cylinder cap was off and always full and starting in the opposite side of car and pumping the brake pedal etc.

But i just ended with no pressure on the brake pedal. I have done many much older cars but this one got me.

As the MOT retest was due I spoke to my local mechanic and he was happy to sort. He first bled the system the same way I did, then used the ezibleed way without success. He then connected the car using VAGCOM to get the air out of the ABS and got a better result.

Anyway I have picked up the car with the mechanic saying it passed the MOT but the brakes were still poor and tried them out and are just too spongy. He didn't charge so back to me.

Is it really that hard to bleed the brakes on a Mk4??
Plus could it be that the master cylinder is buggered as shouldn't be using the brake pedal after reading up?

So my options are:

A: take it elsewhere to bleed - worried that they will have the same issue and the labour charge will mount up

B: try bleeding it again and replace the master cylinder

C: break the car (just seems pointless over brakes)

See less See more
#5 ·
Yep i tried rewinding one rear caliper in situ with some stiltons with no joy, there were some grab marks left by the stiltons but the dust cover was fine and no leaks i could see.

Then bought a proper rewind tool, took both rear calipers off and rewound them on the bench. Handbrake has always been off while bleeding.

#6 ·
I'm out of suggestions.

I did my Bora about two weeks ago. I was told about the handbrake beforehand. It was the master cylinder bleeding that had me stumped. Once I knew about and bled it, everything was fine.

Hopefully someone else will be along with suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.