Cooling pipework - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Cooling pipework

I cant adjust the title on my previous post as removed the BMW thermostat in my system so will put it here for help

I've amended my cooling system now as below as i was getting pressure out the cap, removed the heater so i can get it working as a basic system but need some clarification. (Im running a corsa header tank and RJES reversed coolant manifold)

Been told i should bypass the header tank with a T to the stat..Does this look correct

I will try it running it with 1/3rd of the coolant in and ive put an overflow from the header tank now

Last edited by atlas2l8v; 02-08-2019 at 07:37 PM..
atlas2l8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

hey mate, I replied to your other thread before I realised you'd done this one! It might be useful, maybe not?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

I'm really sorry but I'm unable to help with this one. I'm not entirely sure where all the coolant runs and have kept it stock as possible with the expansion tank on the engine and filler/overflow mounted just behind.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugopnosaj View Post
hey mate, I replied to your other thread before I realised you'd done this one! It might be useful, maybe not?
Howdy

Hows tricks, many thanks im just in the middle of fitting a T25 header tank with the overflow. Im sure its down to the corsa tank not being big enough
Old 05-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I'm really sorry but I'm unable to help with this one. I'm not entirely sure where all the coolant runs and have kept it stock as possible with the expansion tank on the engine and filler/overflow mounted just behind.
No worries Al, hope all is well

Ive stuck a T25 reservoir on and just waiting for a joiner to test again. Hopefully all will be well then
Old 06-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
eugopnosaj
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas2l8v View Post
Howdy

Hows tricks, many thanks im just in the middle of fitting a T25 header tank with the overflow. Im sure its down to the corsa tank not being big enough
All's good, yourself? The stock subaru tank wasn't that big, so I wouldn't have necessarily thought that was the issue, is your aim to have it as a fully closed system, as the stock subaru wasn't as such (the cap wasn't a pressure release cap on the tank)? I've never had any issues with mine and I'm using a small classic mini tank which will smaller than the T25 one that I got from my mate from his pile of mini spares. Report back your findings but hopefully it will solve your woes!
Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

The metal expansion tank on my engine has a pressure cap but the filler tank doesn't. Ive been weaping some water when hot and I put it down to the filler tank possibly being too high but has settled down so not worrying about it atm.

The filler bottle isn't that big as you say, but when filling you nowhere near fill it so a relatively small amount of it's volume has water in. I'm not sure if it fills more when hot but never noticed if it does and would expect the water to be above the fill line if so, which again never noticed. This is assuming of course my setup is working correctly which tbh I have no idea lol.

Last edited by Big Al; 08-08-2019 at 08:39 PM..
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread