Suspension Baywindow Balljoint boots? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 15-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Default Baywindow Balljoint boots?

So I discovered today that after years of being on my van (since 2006) the rubber boots on the ball joints of my bay window have started to perish/split.

The van has only done 11,000 miles in that time, but obviously age has got the better of the rubber.

I know I have seen trackrod end covers in the past for beetles, but as bay balljoints are alot bigger, anyone seen those?

Also what grease is packed in the ball joints? it always looks a greeny colour anytime I have seen it split, is it just CV joint grease?

As my van has done just 300 miles since the last MOT, I thought its not like the joints going to wear out, but I know this is now on the list of things to do, I'd rather not replace the ball joint as thats a hella job and the vw place who did the last ones said what a bugger it was to get the originals out!

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Happystamps
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

Standard bearing grease is fine. I have used Mecatech ball joint boots in the past and will continue to do so- 5 years on the bay and beetle, no corrosion, cracking- nothing.

Plans for bits to make yourself:

Rock and roll style bed
Early bay gearbox mount
Early bay passenger seat brackets
Hoover bit
EB tailgate post
EB engine lid stay rollers

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dblsij1wl...q618iuoha?dl=0
Happystamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

In the mean time I have noticed that both JK and M7 actually do them, M7 being double the price of JK!

The next problem is having a ball joint splitter big enough to separate the ball joint from the camber nut to do the boot. I know I already own at least 3 and none of them have ever been big enough, think this might be the more expensive part as apparently the next size up is truck!

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
mbeamish
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone 666 View Post
In the mean time I have noticed that both JK and M7 actually do them, M7 being double the price of JK!

Don't fit the cheapest boots or they will perish in a few years get Mecatech
mbeamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread