Electrics T4 Central Locking. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Default T4 Central Locking.

About 12 months ago, the central locking worked fine.

I had trouble with the driver's door lock (the tiny spring snapped) and the central locking would activate of its own accord. I took the door panel off, removed the rod from the door button to the central locking actuator/solenoid and unplugged the electrics at the actuator/solenoid.

I've fixed the lock and reconnected everything. The door locks work on the key, the door button stays where it should. The central locking doesn't work. There's no clicking or any signs of operation. I've checked the fuse, it's fine. There's no sign of water ingress.

Any ideas?

It's a 93 van and the central locking operates off the key, there isn't a fob.

Thanks.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Sol Ford

Another central locking question.

Below is a photo on the internals of the CL solenoid. There's a peg on the larger toothed wheel (next to the screwdriver). Does anyone know where it seats on the other side?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_164010.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	261909  
Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
Hoosier
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Within the triangle in the bigger white piece on the right ?
Hoosier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
Sol Ford

I'm not sure. I can't see any wear marks on the plastic.

As it's the central locking I'm trying to fix, if I put it in the wrong place, I've no idea if it's not working because it's in the wrong place or it's the original (a different) fault.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Sol Ford

An update, just in case anyone else gets stuck with this:

The peg sits in the big space not the triangles. The peg pushes on the two flats, up on the left, down on the right.

The motor only spins one way. It can be reversed, but it doesn't to operate the central locking, so if you take it out, make sure you put it back in the correct way.

I stripped it all down, cleaned and lubricated it. Toothbrush works pretty good on the cogs, followed by a blast with an air line. I used silicone spray as a lubricant.

Put it back together.

Job done. (Apart from the other three solenoids I need to strip down )

Last edited by Sol Ford; 02-04-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Reply Post New Thread