Electrics Heated Windscreen Fault, help please! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Heated Windscreen Fault, help please!

Hi all,

Had a dodgy wiring connector on one of the on/off switches, blew a fuse and now neither heated screen works, I'm guessing one/some of the switches/relays have blown but don't know how to test them to figure out which ones are causing the fault. Hoping somebody can explain how to test components (pull-push switch and Screen defogger timer relay) to figure out which one (s) are fecked.

So far I have replaced the blown fuse, bulbs inside the switches and re-wired the loose connection and volt meter says there is current going to the red wire (diagram attached). Help much appreciated as the 06:00 shifts are getting a bit tricky!

Thanks dudes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 12.20.11.png
Views:	14
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	270421
thebiglebowski0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

So essentially the first problem is being too posh having a heated front AND rear screen I'm not too jealous.

Looking at it I think there are 4 items to test, essentially the 2 switches and the 2 relays.

So looking at how that should operate, the first test is to check there is 12V going to the red wire and that it comes out of all 4 connection points.

Check 2 is going to be, with the brown K wire disconnected that when you pull the switch on that 12v's crosses the switch and comes out of the terminal that the brown K wires connect to.

That will then tell yo that you have 2 working switches.

I cant say I have seen those weird relays before, I guess I wouldnt have wired them that way and just used 4 pin relays, turning them off when they are clear ( I know on my golf its like a 15 minute timer) but my guess is that the brown wire activates the timer.

So next test it to turn on the switch and see weather the brown wire has power coming out of it at the terminal, if so, is there power at relay terminal 3 and 4 finally resulting in the test for output at terminal 5.

If the answer says yes to power at those terminals, in theory it should work.

So the next test is going to be the connections actually at the screens, making sure the Earth is properly earthed and there is a supply power.

With rear screens, you would have had to completely gone through all tracks for it not to work, but you should see a resistance value if you connect a multimeter with the supply leads disconnected, part of me wants to say its something weird like 86ohms it might be less or more.

So give some stuff a try and see where the power stops.

Do you have a part number for the relay? Its rare but occasiaonly the timer can go, as essentially its a similar relay to glow plugs and they can go, often its the timer circuit, not the actual relay part.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread