How to power a suitcase stereo? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Engineering Tech

Engineering Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Engineering Issues that don't necessarily fall into Aircooled or Watercooled Tech. Got a problem? Or an engineering question? Even a buildings or property engineering question? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 29-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
jpgreenwood
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (8)

Default How to power a suitcase stereo?

I've been using an alarm back up battery to power my suitcase stereo. This comprises of a small 12v battery, 2 channel car stereo amplifier, switch and 2 speakers. However, the battery is heavy and doesn't charge anymore.
What 12v auxiliary kit can I fit so it can be powered externally from the vehicle cigarette lighter or USB sockets. Cheap and cheerful will suffice.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

So I have been looking in to mobile power sources and potentially the answer is to make the case with lighter things

D Class amplifiers can be quite punchy and are normally far smaller/lighter than conventional car amps.

Then the other thing is something like lithium battery packs (like the phone chargers) and a boost buck converter.

Depends on your skills with electrical stuff really, but the only way to go lighter is with lithium batteries.

One possible thing to look at is the RC plan battieres, pretty sure they come in lithium and 12v.

Whats the rating of your current battery and how long does it last? I'm guessing its about 7ah 12v? I guess you could maybe use power tool batteries might be a bit lighter, but getting 12v ones could be more of an issue as they seem to be 10.8 and 18v these days.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
The killa hertz
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Not the cheapest option but Tracer do some very good Lithium packs that weigh something daft like 700g, depending on what your amp is powering, if it's churning out 50w then a 22Ah should see you well over 4 hours continuous on one. Think you get a fag lighter cable with them too.
The killa hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread