Gibhead Keys - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Engineering Tech

Engineering Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Engineering Issues that don't necessarily fall into Aircooled or Watercooled Tech. Got a problem? Or an engineering question? Even a buildings or property engineering question? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 13-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

No problem. If you tap the image you should get a higher res version that you can print.
Old 14-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
lukej

Trading feedback: (5)

Print? Whats that mean? I've saved digital copy
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
GlenAnderson

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
Print? Whats that mean? I've saved digital copy

If he wants to know why the keyways are parallel and the key tapered itís not just because itís straightforward to cut a parallel keyway and tricky to cut a tapered one; itís so you stand a chance of getting them apart. You can see on the spec sheet that tapered keys have a 1:100 taper along one side. A taper that slow, locked into a mating one, would be very difficult to split.

Old 15-10-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
lukej

Trading feedback: (5)

That's what I was thinking, a morse taper needs but a tap and it's solid. Also, when fitting a key I couldn't envisage the bluing reacting how it does after scraping if it was against a tapered bore. It's either be home or not, whereas a tapered key/straight bore shows you the bore riding up the taper.

Thanks Glenn
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread