Brickwork retaining wall salt seeping - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Engineering Tech

Engineering Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Engineering Issues that don't necessarily fall into Aircooled or Watercooled Tech. Got a problem? Or an engineering question? Even a buildings or property engineering question? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 16-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
FunkyDad
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Brickwork retaining wall salt seeping

Sorry about the dark shots I have only just taken them.
Our back garden slopes down towards our house.
There is a six foot retaining wall holding it back.
We bought the house as a new build 20 years ago.
We had a surveyor around just to ask about it as they were building the house just to calm my nerves.
The brickwork has a sort of breeze block behind the brickwork so it makes a double skin which we saw as they were building it. (we used to pop around now and again just to see and take photos so we could keep the for the future just as a bit of history so we could look back)
So.......the wall does have weep holes (pipes).
We had the usual salt seeping when it was first built and then it stopped. Now after 20 years on the one area it has started again and it quiet thick when you see it close up, thick enough to be able to put you fingernail into it....depending on how long your nails are I suppose
Any ideas?..... what I am worried about is it the brickwork starting to breaking up.

Street Buggy
FunkyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Yay FD, how are you?

I only just see this thread.

Sounds like the wall is suffering from effervescence - salt Cristals that form on the surface of wet brickwork.

Minerals that are disolved in ground water, migrate through the wall to the surface, then as the water evaporates it leaves the white bloom on the wall.

The answer is -

A) buy a torch
B) Use a stiff brush to brush them off.

Do not wash it off, you are just dissolving them and chasing them back in the wall.
They look unsightly, but don't do much harm - in extreme cases, they can attack the surface of the brick, but only after decades, and mostly only the really soft Victorian red clay bricks.

Have a good Christmas feller.
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
FunkyDad

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Yay FD, how are you?

I only just see this thread.

Sounds like the wall is suffering from effervescence - salt Cristals that form on the surface of wet brickwork.

Minerals that are disolved in ground water, migrate through the wall to the surface, then as the water evaporates it leaves the white bloom on the wall.

The answer is -

A) buy a torch
B) Use a stiff brush to brush them off.

Do not wash it off, you are just dissolving them and chasing them back in the wall.
They look unsightly, but don't do much harm - in extreme cases, they can attack the surface of the brick, but only after decades, and mostly only the really soft Victorian red clay bricks.

Have a good Christmas feller.
Cheers matey.
All good here.
yeah thats the only thing I was worried about, we had it when the wall was new around 20 years ago then stopped.
Now all off a sudden after 20 years it has started again.
I was worried that because the garden behind it is on a steepish slope that it might now be the water running down inside it and then possibly attacking the brickwork.
But hopefully as you say it only really happens on old brickwork.
Have a merry whats it's called and a good new year
Street Buggy
FunkyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread