Electrics Halogen Bulbs for 6V Beetle - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Java Green
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Halogen Bulbs for 6V Beetle

Can I buy a full set of bulbs - headlights, tail lights and front and rear indicators for a 1965 6 Volt Beetle. I am sure this may have been covered in previous threads but I have recently acquired a 6 Volt Beetle and don't want to convert to 12 Volts. As you can imagine - I can't go out at night and nobody can see my indicators during the daytime (lots of angry Chelsea Tractor drivers) and I am having to wind down the window and use hand signals. Any advice would be much appreciated. Chris.
Java Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

It is going to be caused by voltage drop in old wiring. You can have the best bulbs in the world but if they aren't getting any volts they won't work.
Old 21-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
Big Al

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

This looks a good site
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...ight-led-bulbs

Found this website which looks interesting. Not read it all mind.
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...boards-etc.php

Bike site
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyWhyNotLEDs.htm
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
Java Green
Chat Slapper

Thanks Clarkson and Big Al - much appreciated.
Old 22-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Mr.Whippy

Trading feedback: (3)

As well as the voltage drop issue there is often a problem with the old reflectors on these cars. If you look into the reflector bowl you should see a sharp reflection of yourself like looking into a mirror. If the reflection looks hazy or foggy then you won't have a good beam pattern and your headlights will be terrible no matter what wattage bulbs you use or how good your voltage is. You usually can't polish the reflectors because the silvering (it's not chrome) is very thin indeed. Replacement with new is the only real world solution to get good headlights if your reflectors have seen better days.

However if the other lights are also dim then you probably need to address the voltage issue first.

Also, if you have indicator bulbs inside sloping headlights, these can be very difficult for other drivers to see when the headlights are on. A bad idea really.

It is just possible that a P.O. replaced the bulbs with 12V ones mistakenly so worth inspecting them closely when you remove them - most bulbs will be marked with the voltage somewhere.

Dave.

Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 22-07-2019 at 08:40 AM..
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
ainokea
Chat Slapper

You might also check each light fixture's ground circuit. Clean down to bare metal, make sure the wire connector is clean. Most people usually do not consider the ground circuit taking it for granted that it is not a source of resistance. Solid grounding is as important as is positive current.
ainokea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
gojira
I'm not an addict... honest!

to check the wiring with a multimeter - turn them on and backprobe each lamp to see what voltage they're seeing. then check voltage from the battery + to lamp +, and lamp ground to battery -.

that'll tell you how much you're losing and whether its through the switches, earth or both.

BedfordVDubs
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Java Green
Chat Slapper

Thanks to all for your very practical advice - I will follow up on all - Chris
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
Bobdisk
Chat Virgin

Mr Whippy is correct about headlight reflectors. If they are otherwise in good condition, and you do not want to replace them. Try these I have no experience of them, but they look good. (for more, just Google "re silver headlamp reflectors"

http://www.ashfordchroming.com/headl...ng-restoration
https://chromeplatinginuk.wordpress....t-resilvering/

Its not cheap, but you do keep originality.

Last edited by Bobdisk; 03-08-2019 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Added a couple of websites
Bobdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
jonnyfive
Chat Slapper

Worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azcfhf2hQB8
jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread