Volkszone Forum banner

forced intake

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Al 
#1 ·
has any one fitted the air intake vents that goes from behind drivers side wheel into engine bay to aid with air flow.
heard there pros and cons.

Just wondered if anyone fitted anything to aid/ get forced intake.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't believe the subaru had forced air intake (hell I could be wrong) so I always go by the logic of what the manufacturers did.

It's probably more important to have fresh air feed so not drawing hot air from the engine bay.

Saying that i have forced air intake for the rad and intercooler and this is shared as a fresh air feed for the engine intake so mine is in a forced air environment i guess. It doesn't seem to be causing any probs tho I'm yet to have it on the rolling road and hooked up so may find otherwise.

Tbh I didn't notice any difference when driving between a hot air feed and fresh air feed but I assume there must be one.

#3 ·
maybe force air feed wrong word.
but all modern car have pipe work to the air box so it supplies clean cold air to engine. ( reason why alot of people don't like removing air boxes just slapping on a air filter.)
having the engine in the rear and intake on top. means air for engine running in to engine bay over hot engine then in to air intake. Not ideal.

just wondering what other have done. i currently have the air filer in one corner and the engine lid on stand off to try to get fresh air in.
colder the air on any engine the better it will perform and look after the engine.
not saying going to gain loads of BHP but means when engine up to full temperature will maintain its full power output not be lowered because of the heat in engine bay. lowering your cars performance.
If that makes sense. Or maybe im over thinking it.

#4 · (Edited)
Oh my bad soz. Yeah I vuagely touched on this and agree cold fresh air feed is essential.

Originally I had this intake which was drawing hot air from the engine bay. Heated by the engine an effectively stale air post radiators in my setup...

I spent ages and ages......and ages trying to work out a way of of getting cold to the front of the filter ranging from
**air from the inner wing...but worried about it being really dirty from there.
**Drawing from below the rear valance or even creating an exhaust dummy which would be an inlet.....again concerns of dirty air plus i plan to build a new exhaust extension to exit the stock valance so would interfere.
**I was finally planning to keep the shortest aired option but bending the feed towards the back of the decklid, cutting a hole in the lid and fitting some kind of grill. A shower air vent grill fitted perfect and was blingy chome but decided I just didn't want a hole there as would look a cock and also allow water ingress without a hood (Pope's nose) of some kind. Also looked at decklid options such as the fish gill lids. Unfortunately I couldn't make it easily vent from behind the licence plate as that was my preference. Yours maybe different.

So....:lol:
As my setup is pretty unique it's hard to see in this pic. The floors are tubbed and scooped to draw air up from below the car. One side feeds the rad the other the big tube which feeds the intercooler. I extended the air intake accross the engine which was a right pita and is tight as hell bit this now feeds directly from the same fresh air intercooler pipe. I figured it was a small compromise for the intercooler for the sake of clean cool air and it's a big bloody pipe so sure there is volume for both. This doesn't help you much tho soz.

I think your best option is a well designed vent through the face of the decklid.....possibly via a Fish Gill desklid etc or......build a fibreglass box behind the licence plate, drill vent holes and stand-off the licence plate, flexi bend to your inlet (which isn't ideal as dangles in the way when open the lid unless right at the top edge) or a pipe which closes into a seal on the decklid. Toyed with this but never finished it as changed plans. Was going to use 2 slightly different sizes of silicone pipe but you have to be accurate and it's a pain to mark out so an easier job with 2 and if you can get you hand to the engine bay from below.

It's all fiddly and a pain. Seen a couplease of people just cut a hole in decklid for a cone filter to stick through but imho looked a cock!

#7 ·
being trying to find a part to show you but cant now

basically you cut a hole behind the drivers rear tyre so it allow fresh air in to engine bay. but the part is S shaped so any water hits the plastic not going in to engine ebay.
currently have the engine lid stand off fitted but thinking of changing it as everyone keeps telling me i haven't closed the lid lol.

#8 ·
My air filter gets air from the stand offs (which it needs to be able to have a decklid at all !!)
When i bought the car it had a ridiculous roof scoop and some alloy hose to the top of the engine. I've been toying with the idea of some side scoops, or the plexiglass rear windows with the scoops in.

Here's how mine looks now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.