Body Don't poke the rust blister - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 27-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Last Triumph
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

Default Don't poke the rust blister

Because when you realise it was only the paint blister holding it together, it commits you to fixing it when it crumbles away.

It went something like this....

"Gosh, Mrs LTs Golf looks very nice when it's had a good valet, but I really must get round to addressing the blister on the front wheel arch - I'll give it a little prod to see how solid it is under the.......... oh."

Bugger.

So now I have about a 4" length where the return flange has crumbled away and three 1mm perforation holes in the flat face of the wheel arch edge.

What to do.

Options:

1) Cut away any remaining rust and botch it with P38 and do an obvious local touch up with a small spray gun. (You can imagine how much I'd loathe to do this and how much this goes against the grain).

2) Buy a used wing from eBay for about 30 that will almost certainly have it's own rust issues and almost certainly not be in the correct colour and hence would need spraying properly but will fit and allow a quick swap over.

3) Buy a pattern wing from eBay such as this which is cheap enough... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-4...AAAOSw7QBcoiko and have this painted properly to match - but will it fit being a pattern part? Are late model pattern wings a decent enough fit?

4) Remove the original, weld it up properly and have it painted to match, but taking the car off the road too long which I can't afford to do as it is required daily.

The car is worth 750 so I can't justify big expense, yet it is a great car, wants for nothing (bar a front wing) and has plenty left to give as cheap motoring, plus Mrs LT loves it and is very attached to it. It won't ever get another timing belt, but there's 3 years left in the current one so this isn's a pre-sale tidy up.

I put it to the people.... what should I do?

The key thing is that the car can only be out of service for a day, absolute tops, which is about how long it would take me to remove and replace a pair of front wings that were ready to go.
Last Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Sol Ford

Trading feedback: (5)

There's another option. It'll probably appeal to your nature.

Buy a cheap wing and fit it as it is. A few hours work and the car is usable.

Repair the original wing at your leisure.

Refit the original repaired wing.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
There's another option. It'll probably appeal to your nature.

Buy a cheap wing and fit it as it is. A few hours work and the car is usable.

Repair the original wing at your leisure.

Refit the original repaired wing.
Fair shout, but I really can't be arsed stripping it all down and removing the bumper, wheel arch liner etc twice.

And the more I think about it, the less and less I can be arsed getting the welder out, as I'd need to create a return flange which would require a shrinker stretcher to do it properly. I resent the time these days. I'm getting old.

Old 27-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
damageandy
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

put a sticker over it...ignore it for next three years.
damageandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageandy View Post
put a sticker over it...ignore it for next three years.

My life would be so much simpler if I could work that way.

I've just found these, which on a hassle, speed, time, effort, result and cost ratio I reckon is about as good as it gets.

Feedback is strong too...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-M...gAAOSwCWFY8MaQ
Old 27-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

I bought a pair of them and will report on how it goes.

At that money, it's a no brainer as it's cost me 50 in materials alone to paint them, plus another 80 for a pair of pattern wings, plus hours of time and potentially not as good of a paint finish if I paint in my own garage, plus the mess etc.

The extra 60 just isn't worth the hassle.
Old 28-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Triumph View Post
I bought a pair of them and will report on how it goes.

At that money, it's a no brainer as it's cost me 50 in materials alone to paint them, plus another 80 for a pair of pattern wings, plus hours of time and potentially not as good of a paint finish if I paint in my own garage, plus the mess etc.

The extra 60 just isn't worth the hassle.
Sounds interesting, let us know how you get on
Old 31-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
Duble agent V.W.Ford

Trading feedback: (0)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Davids-IS...frcectupt=true

Sorted!