To sell or not to sell??? - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
Shamrockez
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

After not using my bus for near on 10yrs I’ve got the running issues sorted and I’m thoroughly enjoying driving him. So much so that he’s not insured for commuting and business use so I can take him to work when it’s a nice day. So far I’ve taken him to 4 different sites that I work at

I’m also being less ‘precious’ with him. He’s had to be a removal van (and W was surprisingly good at it!!!) when I moved house... I didn’t hire anything and just used Joey. Everything went in him - fridge freezer, washing machine, bed, all furniture etc. He was ace! He’s also done a load of runs to the tip, collected a long roll of carpet and taken a friend’s daughter to her prom.

Use it. The weather has been good lately. Even if it’s just to the shops.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
StuF
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Sell the beetle and get something that "Lights your fire"
If you have enough of the replacement get another Beetle - there are loads about

Weekend - 1970 Type 2 EJ25 Powered 5 Speed EarlyBay on BTR's
Fun - Silver Porsche 996 Turbo
Inclement - Silver Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
StuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
Mr.Orange

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgreenwood View Post
Thing is, I could take a more modern car out in the rain and the dark, whereas a 6v Beetle is quite restrictive on when I can use it.
Convert it to 12 volts, fit better lights and keep hold of the original 6 volt bits.

Have you driven an Elise? If not, you may find them a tad awkward to get in and out of. We have a drift car at work, with a full roll cage, and I still find that easier to get into than a miniscule Lotus.
Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
>DEL<

Trading feedback: (22)

Have been in the same situation many times but canít bring myself to sell my Beetle. On a side note.... your beetle is absolutely beautiful. (Keep it)
>DEL< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #15
Lazy Bug'er
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Convert it to 12v
If you’re worried about originality have the oh dynamo rewound or buy a Porsche one. Then just transfer 12v voltage regulator bits into your 6v housing
Easy
Old 19-07-2019, 11:44 PM   #16
curly
I really must get out more

For the amount a lotus will cost you in repairs, you could fit a more powerful engine to your bug and have lots of fun!

Keep it, your regret it otherwise!
Old 20-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #17
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
Me? I'd keep the Bug, even if it just gets driven on the odd weekend. I know if it was me, I'd regret selling it.

But, only you can know what is gonna work for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

This /\

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
Why? My Uncle used a 6v Beetle as a daily for years, no problems with the night and the rain. You have the perfect weekend car. What is an annual service on a Lotus Elise going to cost? Lotus Elise and an MOT test? Fuck that. What does a Bug, with such low annual miles cost to service? £20?
This too /\

I used a 6v Willyís Jeep as my only car for several years.
There has always been a constant temptation to sell it for various reasons, but I have always grit my teeth, found another way, and kept the vehicle.

After more than 40 years, I expect Iíll be keeping it now
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #18
bunglebus
Saddest VZi'er 2017

Trading feedback: (1)

You'll regret it. Keep it and enjoy it.
bunglebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #19
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Been in same situation, don't even know if my bug has done 100mile a year for the past while.
-A lotus will loose value
-Repairs be dear
-MOT and tax
-Dearer insurance

As said already, make the bug more driveable
End of the day up to you dude!
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread