Safety Issues - Please read and add your own experiences - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
Grahamini
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

I did some properly stupid things in my youth when I worked for my Dad. I think I peaked when I was stood on an upturned bucket in 6" of water drilling a hole with a 240v drill in a water tank ...... on top of the HSE offices in London
Mind you that job was a balls up from start to finish. One of the blokes covered over one of the outlets (hence me drilling holes) and when the chlorine treatment was added, 10x the correct amount was put in by mistake Cue lots of taps being turned on and a delightfully clean smelling building by the morning
Grahamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
Goldfeesh
Wannabe Chat Slut

Slightly different to building I know but at work I often go into situations where things could go very wrong very fast. There are people I work with who don't bother with the ppe. As well as the immediate 'you could die' risk, there's also the fact that if it does go wrong and you don't have the right kit with you then you get no compo afterwards.

At home I always wear ear defenders/goggles/gloves for grinding etc but sometimes I'm lazy if I'm painting a little part with a rattle can I won't always hunt out my mask.
Goldfeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #23
dragster172
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Owwwwwww.

Knotted grinding wheels are something that demand a lot of respect.

And concentration to never brush against an edge but always away from it - and worst hazard of all, the wires are constantly being shed, and will embed in timber - so eyeballs would be a breeze.

Very dangerous piece of kit in my opinion.

Get well soon fella - I know from experience how much that smarts - skin has so many nerve endings it stings like a bastard
I caught an accelerator Cáble with one working in an engine bay and chopped my finger off.
Karmann Colorado
Team Footwear™
Renault 5 GT Turbo
dragster172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
eagle
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (16)

Another one that we're all probably guilty of is trying to get someone's attention whilst they are..Grinding/welding/fixing/up the ladder etc.
I now wait until they've have seen/acknowledged me or finished until I talk to them.

Golf, Golf, Golf, Scirocco, Auto, Auto, Auto, Auto, Countrash, SN1 and an Eagle to boot.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #25
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Another one that we're all probably guilty of is trying to get someone's attention whilst they are..Grinding/welding/fixing/up the ladder etc.
I now wait until they've have seen/acknowledged me or finished until I talk to them.
I've lost count of the times my bloody mother frightened the life out of me with "a nice cup of tea"...
Old 20-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
Grahamini
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
I've lost count of the times my bloody mother frightened the life out of me with "a nice cup of tea"...
What's worse though, being frightened or no tea ?
Grahamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #27
thirteen-o-two
ready for the off....

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (1)

I guess I must be fairly sensible reading all the responses Depending on the job I wont work under a vehicle unless its on proper stands (I shove wheels and blocks under the sills just in case). I prefer for the missus to be in the house (garage attached and within earshot) I even have a landline phone in the garage on the wall.

The only 'mishap' in over thirty years was taking a 1302 Mac strut apart and not realising just how far the spring fires when let go! Big dent in the cupboard door! So that's not too shoddy...
thirteen-o-two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #28
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster172 View Post
I caught an accelerator Cáble with one working in an engine bay and chopped my finger off.

My sphincter just did the involuntary 'half crown to sixpence' when I read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
This /\
mr slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #29
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamini View Post
What's worse though, being frightened or no tea ?
This ^

I came 'up for air' from the 924 engine bay with the motor running to find my wife standing next to me with a plate of bacon butties and a cup of tea.

My head nearly took the bonnet off it's hinges.
Last Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #30
RaggedyRacing
Hot shoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
and worst hazard of all, the wires are constantly being shed, and will embed in timber - so eyeballs would be a breeze.
I have no idea how long this was stuck in my arm before i noticed.. at least 3 days

RaggedyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread