Brakes can't bleed brakes on my mk4 Golf - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
adman020
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default can't bleed brakes on my mk4 Golf

Hi all,

I can't bleed the brakes on my mk4 Golf (2001 1.6 16V)!!

I replaced both rear pads and discs on the rear as just bought the car and failed MOT due to imbalanced brakes on rear axle.

I bled the brakes by doing it the old fashioned way making sure the master cylinder cap was off and always full and starting in the opposite side of car and pumping the brake pedal etc.

But i just ended with no pressure on the brake pedal. I have done many much older cars but this one got me.

As the MOT retest was due I spoke to my local mechanic and he was happy to sort. He first bled the system the same way I did, then used the ezibleed way without success. He then connected the car using VAGCOM to get the air out of the ABS and got a better result.

Anyway I have picked up the car with the mechanic saying it passed the MOT but the brakes were still poor and tried them out and are just too spongy. He didn't charge so back to me.

Is it really that hard to bleed the brakes on a Mk4??
Plus could it be that the master cylinder is buggered as shouldn't be using the brake pedal after reading up?

So my options are:

A: take it elsewhere to bleed - worried that they will have the same issue and the labour charge will mount up

B: try bleeding it again and replace the master cylinder

C: break the car (just seems pointless over brakes)
adman020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Did you bleed the master cylinder?
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
adman020
Chat Slapper

sorry yup bled the lower nipple then the upper on master cylinder
Old 19-07-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
Sol Ford

When you replaced the pads and discs, you would've wound the piston back in. Did you put the handbrake on or ratchet it, before you bled the brakes?
Old 19-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
adman020
Chat Slapper

Yep i tried rewinding one rear caliper in situ with some stiltons with no joy, there were some grab marks left by the stiltons but the dust cover was fine and no leaks i could see.

Then bought a proper rewind tool, took both rear calipers off and rewound them on the bench. Handbrake has always been off while bleeding.
Old 19-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Sol Ford

I'm out of suggestions.

I did my Bora about two weeks ago. I was told about the handbrake beforehand. It was the master cylinder bleeding that had me stumped. Once I knew about and bled it, everything was fine.

Hopefully someone else will be along with suggestions.
Old 20-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
adman020
Chat Slapper

cheers Sol
Reply Post New Thread