Engine T25 engine upgrades. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
SPANNERBOY
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (11)

Default T25 engine upgrades.

1.9 AAZ ,
There are 2 ways of doing it,easy way is too use a jx turbo,manifold etc,then all the original engine mountings will fit,the AAZ is a taller block though,so I drill extra holes on the rear panel mountings and spacer blocks up the front.The engine then clears the engine lid.This way stretches the turbo oil return a bit,but it works.you will need to mod the throttle cable and swap some other bits over as well.

The more expensive way is to use the AAZ turbo,this way you need to use a modded lh engine mounting,modify the turbo oil return pipe and fabricate an exhaust down pipe.you get the true bhp this way, 75 bhp.

You can run this all with a standard box and will give you much better torque and drivability.

The only pit fall is low mileage AAZ's are hard to come by,either buy one and re condition it/pay to have it done or some engine builders will swap a worn jx for an AAZ,but you need all the ancilaries,pump,pulleys,alternator etc.

I just bought a knackered AAZ on ebay for 20,just for the parts.

This is assuming you are upgarding from a jx.
Old 31-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
SPANNERBOY

Tdi conversion,
Tdi's are a fly by wire engine,so there is a lot of electrical work involved,but everything is available to buy off the shelf,I will include some links later.This totals up to be quite an expensive conversion as it needs to run an uprated gearbox as well.

The most popular donor is a mk3 golf as you dont need the clocks to run it,mk4 golfs have the immobiliser circuit in the clocks.so again more electrical work.I always buy the whole car,so I can test it prior to taking it apart.

Anything up to a 110 bhp is all roughly the same to modify.

Pd's 115,130 and 150 bhp's all need a lot more work.

To be undertaken in a diy capacity you need to be good at modifying,they all need a lh engine mounting if the donor is golf/bora,both sides if it a passat,modded exhaust,oil feed return pipe,intercooler pipes etc.

Everything you need is available here.
http://stores.shop.ebay.de/TDI-Umbau__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I carry some of Thomas's stuff in stock though.

Last edited by SPANNERBOY; 18-05-2011 at 11:06 PM..
SPANNERBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
SPANNERBOY

Subaru conversion,
This conversion is bags of fun,it puts as mile on my face everytime I drive my bluestar,it makes it like driving a mk1 golf gti van.

Richard at RJES has spent years working on all the conversion stuff,everything is available off the shelf,even down to a modded throttle cable.It makes doing this a lot easier.

The most simple installs is the 1.8,2.0,2.2 these are all single cam heads and can be run with a standard fuel tank and gearbox.I run standard brakes on mine,but I have renewed the lot,new calipers work better than 25 year old ones.

The 2.5 is a quad cam,so a little more work is involved,all 2.5's should have the top end pulled down prior to install,as head gasked failurer is a problem.

The turbo engine is obviously the most powerful,but requires the most work to install.I am doing this on my blueatar and will be happy to start a blog if anyone is interested.

Old 31-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
SPANNERBOY

I do the scooby conversions with richards parts
http://www.rjes.com/

Last edited by SPANNERBOY; 17-09-2009 at 11:05 PM..
SPANNERBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
thissy
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

I wish I lived in Guildford... Those are all excellent!
thissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
SPANNERBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissy View Post
I wish I lived in Guildford... Those are all excellent!
Thank you very much,Guildford is only a trailer ride away Pick it up and have a mini break on the south coast afterwards
Old 26-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
clarkey31
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

if i was to go down the route of an aaz engine what box should i use i dont currently have one at all..
clarkey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
SPANNERBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey31 View Post
if i was to go down the route of an aaz engine what box should i use i dont currently have one at all..
Most td vans have a 3h box fitted as standard,this will be fine.

Have a look here fella.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleS...3/info/gbx.htm
Old 26-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
clarkey31
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPANNERBOY View Post
Most td vans have a 3h box fitted as standard,this will be fine.

Have a look here fella.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleS...3/info/gbx.htm
cheers let the search begin
clarkey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
sex instructor
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

have you done a splitty scoob conversion yet
sex instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread