Volkszone Forum banner

Vibrating Clutch Pedal..

29K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve Pegg 
#1 ·
Any one had this happen, clutch pedal vibrates,gear changes still ok, put have to drive with the pedal just pushed in slightly to stop the vibrations/noise.. is it just a a bit of adjusting required..?
or something else..

cheers
ste

#4 ·
thanks 71vdubber ..Excessive runout on the flywheel , does that mean the flywheel needs to be tightened more..?

OK Steve,same problem!, going to BVF this weekend 400mile round trip , so thinking if this is going to cause any problems on the way ...

#5 ·
If your clutch freeplay is set correctly Steve's comments are the most likely cause of the vibration. It may run like that for hundreds of miles with no problem but I wouldn't guarantee that. In your case, if the clutch is old, it's probably just general wear but if it does it with a new clutch the usual cause is bad fitting. (the pressure plate is not located in the flywheel fully) Saying that, it's not unknown for new clutches to be out of adjustment (on the fingers) that's why it's important to check the centre ring (if you have one) is dead in line with the flywheel face when you install the pressure plate. If you can't drop the engine now try backing off the clutch adjuster a couple of turns to see if that stops the noise, but that may make it harder to get into gear. If you decide to replace the clutch, do the flywheel oil seal too, and retorque the flywheel correctly, just in case it's loose.

#6 ·
I've finally got my arse round to fixing this problem out! Dropped my engine this evening and removed the pressure plate. It was new about 3 months ago! The little centre ring held in place by the three legs and springs is definately slighty wonky. What can I do or would this not be the problem? should I just put it back together using the alignment tool and hope for the best?

cheers.

Steve.

#7 ·
I suppose you've been out in the Maldives for the summer. :rolleyes: Check carefully that the pressure plate was centered properly in the flywheel (fully recessed all the way round) and refit it in a different position to see if the ring is still out of line. If it is, you can carefully adjust the nuts at the inner end of the fingers to correct it, but re-crimp them after. Ideally it should go back under guarantee but that's not so easy when you fit them yourself, any excuse will be found to reject your claim.

#8 ·
I know, I know! :( :p Maldives, if only! :D

the wierd thing is that looking at my old clutch plate assembly the ring on that one was slighty higher at one of the legs than the other two? I'm confused!
:confused:

I was thinking of taking it back to German and Swedish tomorrow, but I don't want to push my luck after they were so good swapping my master cylinder over! especially as it's been on the car like this now for a few months!

Moby when you say this "see if the ring is still out of line" do you mean (imagine the clutch on the flywheel) back and forwards (my problem even without the pressure plate attached!) or up and down, as if to off centre it with the gearbox shaft?

cheers, I really don't want to look like a knob taking something back that isn't bust!
:rolleyes:

#9 ·
I mean backwards/forwards ie. not exactly parallel with the flywheel face (or the flat face of the pressure plate). It's not that rare a fault but the usual cause of distortion is incorrect fitting and they'll be aware of that and look for signs to prove it. Well worth a try though, you can always say you've been out in the Maldives for 3 months so couldn't bring it back sooner.:)

#10 ·
I had/have this problem with my bug. Been doing it for the past couple of months.
New engine (supposedly new clutch too) fitted by a garage mentioned elsewhere in this forum(!).
Took it back and was told to nip up the clutch cable slightly, and it was nothing to worry about and common on old beetles. Said the cable was just rattling in the conduit.
Nipped it up, problem gone, only after a while the release bearing starts to whine when the clutch is fully depressed!

Looks like another sub-standard job done by the local butchers. :(

#11 ·
Just in case. The flexible conduit tube for the clutch cable (at the rear) should have a bend in it, roughly 25-45mm from straight. This gives the cable a certain amount of pre-load. If it is too shallow, then it is possible that the cable could vibrate (this can also happen if the bend it too deep).

#12 ·
I have the very same problem. It•s the three fingers thing - the pressure ring held by these fingers is not parallel to the friction area of the plate anf that small ring is "clicking" into my throw-out bearing. I•ll live with that during winter, but in spring-engine out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.