How to get a free exhaust gas analizer! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech > Tech FAQ archive

Tech FAQ archive Useful and frequently asked tech questions. Mods, please move FAQs into this archive.

Old 28-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
AngelVenomous
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default How to get a free exhaust gas analizer!

(Although you do need a multimeter that can read from 0.1 to 1 volts)

Just go to a scrap yard, take the lambda probe/oxygen sensor (whatever you wanna call it) from a modernish car, stick it in your pocket, run away from the Alsations and the scary guy in the caravan.

Two ways you can fit it to your Bug, either drill a hole in the exhaust (need to be a section that warms up quickly) slightly smaller than the sensor and tap it so the sensor fits and seal it with exhaust putty. Alternatively get a spark plug adapter that will accept the sensor and weld the adaptor to the exhaust.

Now the exciting bit, run the engine until warm and connect the multimeter to earth and the main wire on the sensor.

The reading mean as follows:
0.7V = 13:1 - ideal for HP and exhaust valve cooling
0.45V = 14.7:1 - ideal for cat converters
0.3V = 16:1 - you are about to put a massive hole in your pistons!

Also, at wide open throttle you should get 0.8V but if it suddenly drops to 0.5V then your engine is leaning out at high revs (happens particularly with Weber IDFs or Dells)

There is of course nothing to stop you having a volt meter on the dash that will tell you as you're driving along (as long as it's calibrated for 0.1-1 volts)
Old 28-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
VielziDub

That's very usefula nd interesting! Where can I find one of these lambda probes? Are they stuck on modern car exhausts? Where abouts?

Cheers,
Dan
Old 28-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
garethj
25 character limit is cra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelVenomous
The reading mean as follows:
0.7V = 13:1 - ideal for HP and exhaust valve cooling
0.45V = 14.7:1 - ideal for cat converters
0.3V = 16:1 - you are about to put a massive hole in your pistons!

Also, at wide open throttle you should get 0.8V but if it suddenly drops to 0.5V then your engine is leaning out at high revs
Wow, really handy tip!

Dan, the lambda probe will be somewhere on the main exhaust section underneath the car, around the catalytic converter.

Old 28-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
DarkHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelVenomous
stick it in your pocket, run away from the Alsations and the scary guy in the caravan.
Old 28-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
jap
I'm not an addict... honest!

look at an old astra just behind the rad where the exhaust goes from 4 into1 its there 20mm spanner

or there new from partco for about 16-20 quid

jap
Old 28-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
AngelVenomous

All UK production cars built after 1992 will have a lambda sensor.

Most cars seem to have it in the exhaust manifold just after the four exhausts from the cylinder go into one (usually behind the radiator as Jap says)

A new one might be an idea although I'm a tight git! When getting scrap ones I always get a few and test them over the gas hob with a pair of pliers to make sure I get a voltage (it'll proberbly say between 0.9-1 volts due to all the oxygen that will be around)

Couple of other things too - the easiest ones to use are the 1 wire sensors, the body is grounded through the exhaust. Some other sensors may have 2, 3 or 4 wires. This is usually for a heater connection so the sensor can get at maximum temp quickly. I personally wouldn't bother as it's only more strain on the electric system (particularly if you've just started your car from cold!) but you can if you wish.

If you're not gonna bother with the heater on a 2, 3 or 4 wire sensor and don't know which wire to use, again do the gas hob test mentioned earlier and test all wires to see which one gives off the voltage.
Old 28-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Paul Weeding
Lord Von Hannover

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (9)

top tip... i shall consign this to the tech archive in a few days!!
Old 28-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
sam_cat
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (4)

Ebay is a good source.
I have a brand new posh 4 wire Wide band one sat at home that was an ebay win, along with LOTS of useful links (which I will post when I get home).

Cya,
Sam C
Old 28-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
AngelVenomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Weeding
top tip... i shall consign this to the tech archive in a few days!!
OOH! Thankyou! Bloody hell, I've said something useful on here!

BTW, if anyone is thinking about putting a volt meter on the dash, use a very thick wire to minimise resistance.

VU meters from old audio equipment might be an idea as they usually only read a few millivolts. You might have to calibrate it with a multimeter and write on "lean, correct, rich" at the appropriate points though.
Old 28-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
AngelVenomous

Another hint - if you've got twin carbs why not fit two?! Each one just after the exhaust flange (sorry, I love that word!)

You could even use summat like this to display the mixtures from each carb:

http://img-europe.electrocomponents....C348844-01.jpg

Of course, if you've got twin choke webbers or dells you could even fit FOUR!!!